The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

In support of Covert's lament....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

In support of Covert's lament....

by Paulo in Philly » Wed May 17, 2006 6:46 pm

...I happen to fall upon a bottle of Chateau Greysac 01 Cru Bourgeois Medoc. It was on sale at the pathetic little wine store here in the Fairmount section of Philadelphia - not where I enjoy browsing for wines, but.... It's a wednesday and I am riding the recent Bordeaux learning wave.

My experience with Bordeaux is very limited - mostly a wine dinner at Morell's in NYC 2 years ago. Sunday night I enjoyed a St. Emilion Grand Cru.

This wine presented lots of earthy barnyard and espresso coffee on the nose. Licorice, some round vanilla on the palate. Abundance of deep and dark berry fruit, too. More coffee. Very slight coconut oak - anything more would be a turn off, but balanced. All I want to do is stick my nose in the wine (and sip it, of course!).

I am very frustrated that I am a poor starving artist. So many wines, so little times, so little money... and I still am going back to Italy for more Italian wines. I can only believe in reincarnation so I can come back and continue discovering more and more wines!
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: In support of Covert's lament....

by Mark S » Thu May 18, 2006 12:25 pm

Paulo Faustini wrote:I am very frustrated that I am a poor starving artist. So many wines, so little times, so little money... and I still am going back to Italy for more Italian wines. I can only believe in reincarnation so I can come back and continue discovering more and more wines!

Always the problem, Paulo, always the problem. Too many wines, not enough time. Not enough human liver, either.

Of course, you can always visit those friends and acquaintances with richer cellars than your own, but then you'd have to travel less to Italy and more Stateside to do that. Always tradeoffs. And I am sure many here envy your life. Think of the producers you can visit during your european trips! Different side of the coin, but I wouldn't mind being in your shoes. 8)
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu May 18, 2006 12:37 pm

I guees the grass will always be greener, Mark! :lol:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu May 18, 2006 3:32 pm

Paulo,
I assume the "pathetic wine store" was in fact one of Pennsylvania's fine State liquor stores? If it was, you were lucky to find anything other than jugs of Gallo, boxes of Almaden, and bottles of Sutter's Home white zin. The fact that you came upon a bottle of Bordeaux should be cause for some celebration! There are plenty worth slurping in the under $30 category. Head to Delaware or New Jersey and load up!
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Fri May 19, 2006 8:00 pm

Mark S wrote: Always the problem, Paulo, always the problem. Too many wines, not enough time. Not enough human liver, either.
Nor money.