The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN /WineAdvisor: Pinot Inflation (Willamette Vly Vyds 05)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Russell Mann

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:47 am

Re: WTN /WineAdvisor: Pinot Inflation (Willamette Vly Vyds 05)

by Russell Mann » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:18 pm

I lived in Missoula for a couple years. I know a guy in the wine business there. If I see him again I'll let him know :)
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:09 pm

Russell Mann wrote:Apparently in the book [Sideways], the 61 Cheval Blanc was actually a Petrus, which is of course 95-100% Merlot in any given year.

Welcome, Russell.

Thought I'd clear up the issue of the special wine in Sideways. In the book it's a 1982 Latour. Miles shares it with Jack in a restaurant - no fast food and styrofoam cup. The book (I read it on a flight before the movie was out) is substantially different from the movie in a number of ways; it's much more of a black comedy.
no avatar
User

Russell Mann

Rank

Cellar rat

by Russell Mann » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:31 pm

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. Isn't the Latour mostly Cab Sauv? That might make the symbolism break down.

K&L has it for cheap: http://www.klwines.com/product.asp?sku= ... PV-Winezap
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:42 pm

You obviously have a very different idea than I do about what constitutes 'cheap'!
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:06 pm

I know a lot of people here have a very low opinion of wine rankings based on points. However, I think they're useful for comparing similar wines.

Based on that, it's interesting to compare the rankings of domestic Pinot Noir and Burgundy compared with price.

Issue #34 of QPR Wines (now Wine Blue Book) was red Burgundy. Issue #37 was Pinot Noir.

At 97 points, average price for the two Burgundies listed was $1160. The only Pinot Noir at that level was priced at $360.

At 96 points, Burg average was $952, PN was $155.

95 points, B $443, PN $250.

94, B $367, PN $197.

The trend continues down the line.

My conclusion is that for comparably ranked wines, non-Burgundy PN's are still significantly less expensive on average than Burgundies. Willamette Valley Vineyards in particular appears to be priced lower than the average of comparably ranked wines, but there are far better values.

So what's it all mean? I dunno. If you prefer the taste of Burgundy, you'll no doubt prefer a lower-ranked Burg to a more highly ranked PN, and the prices may well be comparable. Shop around in either category, and there are some great values to be found.

For me, the best wine I ever tasted was from Gevrey-Chambertin, but I have had some real dogs from France in general and Burgundy in particular. In general, I find US wines to be more consistent, at least in my price range.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:25 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Welcome, now we need to find someone from Montana!!! I am up here in Alberta and they all know me as Doris!!

This has nothing to do with his choice of clothing, of course! :roll:
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:41 pm

Russell Mann wrote:Isn't the Latour mostly Cab Sauv? That might make the symbolism break down.

I think Latour is mainly Cabernet Sauvignon, yes. As for the symbolism, I've always assumed it was meant as an inside joke by the director of the movie. While it might have been meant to undercut Miles, I don't think most of the audience would have enough knowledge to get that. Hence I think the director would have done something more pointed if that were his intent.
no avatar
User

Russell Mann

Rank

Cellar rat

by Russell Mann » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:54 pm

Isaac wrote:You obviously have a very different idea than I do about what constitutes 'cheap'!

Is there a notation for sarcasm on this board? :)
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:12 am

Sarcastic?

Moi?
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:43 am

Isaac, I think Russell would have liked to put a sarcasm symbol next to HIS post, not yours.
Wow, 8 contributors to this thread who "just got here." Welcom Ray, RP, Joe, Lee, Shawn, Tony, Paula and Russell!!!!! Did I miss anyone. Anyway, welcome to the friendliest wine board on the net, and the eight of you will make it all the more interesting.
I fall with the majority who love the grape when it is well done, am inclined toward the burgundy style, but unfortunately don't have the time or the money to really learn it. So what's the alternative? What can take the place of burgundian style pinot?
Obviously, nothing. But as a wine one would drink on a daily basis where Pinot would be first choice but for expense, a wine that would be interesting and less than $20, where does one go? For me, it is rioja and/or southern rhone, or even, gasp, a white wine. And, of course, I keep looking for that $12 pinot treasure that no one has found yet, but ultimately go back to a cotes-du-rhone village, or a rioja. So if good pinot is too expensive, what do YOU use as a substitute?
-OW
no avatar
User

Russell Mann

Rank

Cellar rat

by Russell Mann » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:57 pm

I'm not picky. I'll enjoy anything that tastes good. Good gin martini's, single malt scotch, Trappist beer, Cabs, Zins, blends, Italians, French, whatever. Just something that tastes good :)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:18 pm

I might use a Beaujolais Villages or Cru Beaujolais as a stand in for Burgundy.
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:00 am

I agree with the Cru BJ, but only in the good years (05 is a good year). Morgon and Moulin-A-Vent are our favorites, but they still can't top a nice Oregon PN.

We have two wine chillers, a smaller one for the daily drinkers, and a larger one for the good stuff. And there's no shortage here of nice under $20 everyday wines. But I would not generalize and say that any varietal and region would be a good choice. At the lower end of the market, there are far too many wines where more was spent on the label with the animal picture than the actual wine.

With the heat going full blast, we tend toward the whites these days for daily drinking. A couple we've enjoyed lately:

05 A to Z Oregon Pinot Blanc ($13 at a small local liquor store)
06 Robert Hall Paso Robles Sauv Blanc ($12 at Whole Foods)
Previous