Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Copper River Salmon run is in progress

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Roy Hersh

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:12 pm

Sammamish, WA

Copper River Salmon run is in progress

by Roy Hersh » Thu May 18, 2006 1:37 am

Here in Seattle, the first market outside of Alaska to receive Copper River salmon and in particular ... the King and Sockeye ... the fish arrived on Monday. This annual harvest is a huge marketing opportunity for restaurants across the USA to feature this delectable fish.

Pinot Noir producers are pretty darn happy too, as nothing pairs like Pinot and Salmon ... or do you have other favorites?

I also am a big fan of Blanc de Noir Champagne, Pinot Gris, Cru Classe Beaujolais and Chablis. This year I will also try German Riesling and Alsatian Riesling and Pinot Gris too.

What are your favorites?

BTW, also seek out the even better, Yukon River King Salmon that appear towards the end of the Copper River run. The Yukon River Kings are the greatest Salmon period and hold the record for the highest fat content for any Salmon.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Copper River Salmon run is in progress

by Robin Garr » Thu May 18, 2006 10:19 am

Roy Hersh wrote:Here in Seattle, the first market outside of Alaska to receive Copper River salmon and in particular ... the King and Sockeye ... the fish arrived on Monday.

Monday or Tuesday, Roy? Media accounts indicated that the first sales were 9 a.m. Tuesday?

Also, what about price? From what I'm seeing, a tiny harvest is prompting unheard-of price levels - I read one account that kings were going for $36.99 a pound at Whole Wallet^H^H^H^H Foods.

Working on a little blurb about this to top today's FoodLetter ...
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu May 18, 2006 4:07 pm

Hi Roy,
I find a savoury chardonnay goes quite well - of course my experience is NZ salmon and mostly NZ chardonnay.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 18, 2006 4:56 pm

Roy, depending on the prep, I swing back and forth between pinot and grenache-based southern Rhones. The latter is actually a must if I'm poaching it on the barbecue in a butter-smoked paprika sauce. Agreed about Yukon River fish.

But yeah what Robin said--I understand the prices are going through the roof, and a small harvests locally aren't going to help. I understand the Columbia count is down by a third.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Roy Hersh

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:12 pm

Sammamish, WA

by Roy Hersh » Fri May 19, 2006 2:06 am

Robin:

Monday or Tuesday, Roy? Media accounts indicated that the first sales were 9 a.m. Tuesday?

Wholesalers in Seattle took possession on Monday from what I was told.

I read one account that kings were going for $36.99 a pound at Whole Wallet^H^H^H^H Foods.

I went down to Pike Place Market on Wed. afternoon (to scope out the scene), which has about a half dozen fish mongers. The price on whole Kings was $25.99 and on King fillets $29.99.

Sue:

I find a savoury chardonnay goes quite well - of course my experience is NZ salmon and mostly NZ chardonnay.

So nice to hear from you Sue! I miss you on Wed. nights. I hope everyone from this Community has subscribed to your outstanding newsletter. Chardonnay sounds like it might work well, preferably without the cedar planks. :lol:
Seriously, I really enjoy Chablis with Salmon. The purity of the fruit and acidity really holds up to the intense richness of the fish.

Jenise,

Yes, I have lived through many a tough "run" from both rivers up there when I was buying in large quantities for a restaurant chain (19 units) that featured these fish each year. One year we even had to pass entirely on doing the Copper River as from a price standpoint, we were only able to "afford" Sockeye and we had a reputation built on Kings. In 1998 I was "awarded" the FIRST King out of the Yukon River. It was a big deal here at the time as it was flown in by float plane to our restaurant on Lake Union. I have some great photos of that event. Ahhhhh those were the daze.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 19, 2006 12:20 pm

Sue, totally agree with you on chardonnay as a white choice--it's my choice for any rich seafood, and salmon certainly is that. Semillon also pairs quite well, but it's not a very common wine. Is any grown in NZ?--I can't remember even seeing it named as a blending grape.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov