The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dr. L Riesling 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Dr. L Riesling 2004

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:15 am

MSR. From the Loosen Brothers.

Incredibly fresh and vibrant nose with lemon, lime and spice.

The first moutful was so rich and intense it was almost painful!! Spritzy, fleshy lemon-lime, zippy acidity, sweet, brown sugar. With time the wine becomes very lime dominant, with a moderately long mouthwatering finish.

This wine kicks butt.

Screwcap closure. Good deal at $13.95 Canadian.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: TN: Dr. L Riesling 2004

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:17 am

Nice little quaffer isnt it, Bruce? I can't wait for it to warm up around here so I can enjoy this one on the back deck.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:26 am

Have always felt that "cheap" but good German Rieslings were just made for hot and humid Canadian summers!!

A nice citrus-drive SB also goes down a treat.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:19 pm

Bruce,

This is one of my consistent favorites. Even the 2003 was light and pretty, and the 2002 better than that. It's US$10-11 around here, and a superb value. I also like the Saint M from the Pfalz for a few dollars less. For a negociant wine, you can't beat the value offered by Loosen.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:11 pm

Bruce, I agree with you on Sauvignon Blanc. Our Ontario versions such as Cave Spring's are amazing on a hot summer's day. The best thing I like about them is that they're grassy, citrusy and always a '0' on the sugar scale. Rieslings in Ontario very often get at least 1 degree of sugar snuck into them and still get called "dry".
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:32 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:MSR. From the Loosen Brothers.

Incredibly fresh and vibrant nose with lemon, lime and spice.

The first moutful was so rich and intense it was almost painful!! Spritzy, fleshy lemon-lime, zippy acidity, sweet, brown sugar. With time the wine becomes very lime dominant, with a moderately long mouthwatering finish.

This wine kicks butt.

Screwcap closure. Good deal at $13.95 Canadian.

Bruce,
You forgot to mention one very important thing - just 8.5% alcohol by volume. I bought some bottles for the down under summer for about NZ $17.95 each, which is great buying for this style of wine in NZ and you can drink it straight from the fridge.

How does my note compare?

Very pale in colour. Aromatic and slightly oily smelling with citrus, stewed apple and a lime blossom overtone to the scent. Crisp and fresh in the palate with bright acidity, an earthy mid-palate and a rose petal-infused boiled lolly sweetness to the finish. A piercing wine with beautifully balanced sweetness and acidity, and an amazingly long juicy finish for its low alcohol content.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:52 pm

Nice note Sue. Pardon my drooling. :oops:
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Saint M

by Redwinger » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:48 am

wnissen wrote:Bruce,

I also like the Saint M from the Pfalz...
Walt

Me too. I found both the 2003 and 2004 Saint Ms to be very emjoyable quaffs.

Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Saint M

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:39 am

So here is my take on the `04 Dr L tasting saga!! This has to be the third bottle tasted I think and was opened for some ladies who kindly helped me with a butterfly count in the local fens yesterday afternoon. So some varied comments but all relevant none-the-less.

WTN: `04 Dr L Riesling, M-S-R.

Low alcohol, screwcap. Served nicely chilled as can be fat if served too warm.

Colour. Pale straw w. greenish hints.

Nose. We had comments ranging from apple to citrus, minerals, lemon, pears and floral, hint of diesel (I asked them to look for this).

Palate. We all agreed this was a very nice wine and a good intro to Germany. With 33 degrees, it was a nice quaff!!! I found it crisp and refreshing, nice tartness and a lingering aftertaste. Sure its not elegant, but good in its own right. Some honeyed tones here amidst apple and melon. Very clean and tangy, more medium bodied than the lighter `05.
Sam, we looked for bacon but no luck!!

So there we are forumites. The tasters were not pros but really enjoyed the wine. Few will seek out for sure, also the Cedar Creek Pinot Gris which we opened at the same time. Yup, they liked that too.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:45 am

Bob
How are the flutter-bys doing? I understand ours are struggling currently as there's less of their preferred flowers around. Might have to start planting some for them!
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:51 am

Bob Parsons wrote:Sam, we looked for bacon but no luck!!

Bob, My wife didn't spot the bacon either. It seemed quite clear to me at the time, but my palate may have been out of synch.

I'm glad that your panel enjoyed the Dr. L. It's an enjoyable sipper as it was intended to be. We continue to drain about one bottle of the '04 per week. If the weather stays hot we are likely to continue on that pace.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins