Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How to protect a stainless steel grill from the elements/salt air?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sonia Hambleton

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun May 14, 2006 9:14 pm

How to protect a stainless steel grill from the elements/salt air?

by Sonia Hambleton » Wed May 17, 2006 5:03 pm

My husband just bought a new stainless steel gas grill. We have it on the patio under an awning so it is quite protected from rainfall. We've heard from neighbours that the stainless steel will not stand up to the salt air (we don't have waterfront, but we're about 1/2 mile away).

Any recommendations on what we can do to prevent it from dieing an early rusty death?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: How to protect a stainless steel grill from the elements/salt air?

by Jenise » Thu May 18, 2006 5:02 pm

Sonia, is the SS part the exterior/cabinetry? I'm not sure what works to protect it, but intuitively, the same thing that shines it--Liquid Gold--might put a protective oily layer on it that's better than nothing. Plus, of course, a cover--fog and cold dewy night air is going to be your biggest problem.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sonia Hambleton

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun May 14, 2006 9:14 pm

Re: How to protect a stainless steel grill from the elements/salt air?

by Sonia Hambleton » Mon May 29, 2006 6:58 pm

Hi Jenise - sorry for the late reply. Do you mean "Scott's Liquid Gold" that is marketed for wood, but can be used on stainless steel? I tried googling for liquid gold and stainless and that was the closest thing I could find.

Thanks for the recce - yes, this is for stainless steel housing.