The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Update in the Finger Lakes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Update in the Finger Lakes

by Paul B. » Wed May 17, 2006 10:45 pm

Similar situation here with the weather. After a mild winter and a seemingly quick start to warm weather that I've all but forgotten, there came like two weeks of solid coolness and man, tons of rain! And it's not over - they're calling for a cold and rainy weekend again, with rain into next week too. Absolutely dismal. I have no doubt, though, that should things warm up and stay warm thereafter, the amount of moisture in the ground will be helpful long-term during the growing season. I just wish it would warm up, like now.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu May 18, 2006 7:32 am

John,

No doubt about it--this has been a most discomforting May thus far.

Strange as it seems, in some scientific circles, they say that global warming will lead to another ice age!!!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu May 18, 2006 9:33 am

John,

I forgot to ask.

What are you planting?

Riesling???
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu May 18, 2006 11:54 am

John D. Zuccarino wrote:He bought both and also has to have a couple of bottles of my White Catawba as he was going to do a blind tasting and fool the crap out of his club members. The look on his face when he tasted the wine was astounding it was like that first kiss you never forget. He loved the Delaware also, but that Cat. really tickled his fancy.

Just to be clear, John, is that your dry White Catawba? I am always interested in reading other winemakers' experiences in springing the unexpected and officially unorthodox style of dry labrusca onto unsuspecting people ... and I especially like the fact that with no dogma precluding their honest reactions, the majority are receptive to the style.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu May 18, 2006 1:41 pm

John,

Michael Warren Thomas does a good job for wine and food. There is a rumor that I might be on the show this Sunday to talk about the Culinary and Wine Center. I've been on the show a couple of times, and do enjoy doing it.

As for Riesling--I hear you, but of course, I don't agree with you. It not only is the signature vinifera of the region, it will one day be the star money-maker too, and when you are in business, you do have to think about profit--not that I ever made a profit with my winery ;)

Once Riesling is established, it proves to be quite consistent over all other vinifera planted here.

The description of your Chardonnay is right on. Those tropical fruits are common from some parts of Seneca Lake Chardonnay vineyards. You know, that "banana belt."
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm

Yep--don't break the law; those alcohol guys have guns. They'll probably shoot for less than a 25% infraction...
Thomas P