The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bob H. Has arrived

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Bob H. Has arrived

by Bob Henrick » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:44 pm

When I was first advised of this new version of the WLDG, I thought I would take some time and lurk to see how it goes. I figured this was the way to go because of experiences in the Wine Lovers Discussion group on Netscape. However After a couple days, I decided to go ahead and register. I like this software much better and I am hoping this home will be a much more family type experience for me. If it turns out to not be, I see that I can delete my membership, which was not possible on the WLC. I am hoping that here I can be the productive member I was on the old WLDG, and that we will soon have threading here like we had on the old forum. Even though technically this is a BB, I will continue to humor the host by referring to it as a forum. :-)
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Bob H. Has arrived

by Paul B. » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:50 pm

Welcome, Bob! It already feels like home to me.

I can say that while word of mouth has spread quickly and it's only been a few days, this place already breathes the soul of the original WLDG. I got used to the Netscape forum but the spirit never quite followed there once we moved. Here, I think it's coming back with full vigour.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:17 pm

Good to see you here Bob. I think I will miss the ability to only see new posts on a thread. Here you seem to have to scroll through to the end. You can change the sort order in an individual thread, but I can't see how to make this permanent.

But I do like the Emoticons. :!: Even if the list is fairly limited. :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:31 pm

Hey Bob! Good to see you here, man.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:27 pm

G'day BobH,

Great to see you (and many others) posting again.

Kind regards and
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:I think I will miss the ability to only see new posts on a thread. Here you seem to have to scroll through to the end.

You can do it, Neil, sort of ... this is hard to explain, because I'm still learning the system too. But look carefully at each forum page and you'll see a couple of tricks. In the right-hand column, under "Last Post," if you click on the little folder icon next to the poster's name, that will take you straight to the subject post. Then, even if there have been intervening posts since your last read, you can more easily page back through them.

Also, when a thread goes into multiple pages, you can click to Page 1, 2, or 3, etc., by clicking "Go To Page" on the topics line of the forum index page.

Kind of hard to articulate, but read this, then go back to a forum page, and I think you'll see it.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Good to have you here Bob!

by James Roscoe » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:09 pm

Bob,
I am definitely feeling more at home here than I ever did at the other board. I don't want to get too excited, but it seems all good so far.
Cheers!
James R.[/b]
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:14 pm

Hey, Bob ... glad you finally made it!

As I wrote in the "sticky" at the top of the Wine Forum, which you might want to read, I intend to keep the Netscape Forum going as a welcoming home to wine newbies, and if any of you old-timers who are willing to help out with wine education over there, I'll be in your debt.

We're going to do our damndest to rebuild the spirit and the style of the old WLDG here on this forum, and so far, the consensus seems to be that the more streamlined and user-friendly software makes it a whale of a lot easier for us to concentrate on community, friends and fun. And wine, of course.

Now ...

Bob H. wrote:I will continue to humor the host by referring to it as a forum. :-)

Naah. read that "sticky" all the way down, and you'll see that I've given up that fight. Heck, if they call the software "PhpBB," how can I argue with that? :oops:
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Hi Bob, Good to see you

by Tom N. » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:01 pm

I have entered this forum also. Seems better than the Netscape forum. I like the choices here and that you can identify the author of the posts. Still would like the thread tracer feature, however.

Tom Noland
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:09 am

Bob H. wrote:When I was first advised of this new version of the WLDG, I thought I would take some time and lurk to see how it goes. I figured this was the way to go because of experiences in the Wine Lovers Discussion group on Netscape. However After a couple days, I decided to go ahead and register. I like this software much better and I am hoping this home will be a much more family type experience for me. If it turns out to not be, I see that I can delete my membership, which was not possible on the WLC. I am hoping that here I can be the productive member I was on the old WLDG, and that we will soon have threading here like we had on the old forum. Even though technically this is a BB, I will continue to humor the host by referring to it as a forum. :-)

Good to see you here BobH...like my arm twisting!! You are an important part of life here as far as I am concerned. Now that you are here, aaah hum, you can guide us around the setup here. I have some questions as the others have found out!!!
I hope to carry on over there, on the other place. I enjoy helping the newbies and it is fun..now that I have the hang of it. OK, where shall I start?
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:48 am

Hi Bob H.! We're not sweating the lack of a threaded format, but I know some folks prefer it. We're cool with the PhpBB format; it's pretty intuitive and easy to get the hang of (we've had lots of experience with similar setups, cross posters that we are), so hang in there with us, my friend.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: 8)
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Threading

by Bill Spencer » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:18 am

%^)

I'm with you, Bob ... threading ability will be the proverbial "icing on the cake" for me ... with the time I have to spend during the work day on this board, it will be the one feature that will dictate my level of participation ... but who would miss this lemon farmer anyway ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: Threading

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:27 am

Bill Spencer wrote:who would miss this lemon farmer anyway ?

We all would!
no avatar
User

David Cohen

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Toronto

Hi Bob

by David Cohen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:53 pm

For the past year and more I have been very busy, a new wife and family and alot of work. I have not had the time to be involved in buying and talking wine. Anyway, I feel kind of out of touch and am pleased with RR for waking me up. I have on my schedule to go to MoCool if there is one. Robin's new software seems good. I can answer emails on my blackberry. I will try and make myself have more presense than my recent past. I like all of you so much.

Best wishes

David Cohen
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: Hi Bob

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:58 pm

David Cohen wrote:I will try and make myself have more presense than my recent past.

Hooray! It's like Old Home Week. Mighty good to see you too, David ... and maybe MoCool in August?
no avatar
User

David Cohen

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Toronto

Doing well so far

by David Cohen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:41 pm

With this post I have done more than two percent of the amount you have Robin.
Cheers

David
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: Doing well so far

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:33 pm

David Cohen wrote:With this post I have done more than two percent of the amount you have Robin.

Well, better get busy then! :)