The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Joseph Drouhin Pommard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 1996 Joseph Drouhin Pommard

by Saina » Fri May 12, 2006 4:26 pm

Opening this bottle was almost a sentimental situation. Finland is a vinous desert - in particular when it comes to Burgundy and even more so when it comes to the Loire. I recently ordered a few wines from the ever dependable http://www.belgiumwinewatchers.com and this bottle was among them. It almost brought a tear to my eye to finally get a Burgundy that truly was to my taste as there aren't any in our Monopoly's selection: this wasn't spoofulated; it was true to the terroir.

• 1996 Joseph Drouhin Pommard - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard (5/12/2006)
    Darkish. The nose is lovely: vegetal with lots of beetroot, earthy but with only the very slightest hint of dung, with some strawberry and quite a bit of minerality. At first it was also a bit oaky, but that dissippated with air. The palate is quite tannic and thick even, but with fine balancing acidity and ripe fruit. Very long with a touch of minerality coming out on the finish. Lovely. Give it a few more years.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1996 Joseph Drouhin Pommard

by Jenise » Sun May 14, 2006 12:12 pm

Finland is a vinous desert

One would actually never understand this judging by your tasting notes, Otto. But you made me laugh--I do not live in a vinuous desert, but I have referred to this area as 'Bordeaux Siberia'. I guess every area--outside of Los Angeles and New York, that is--has some kind of regional blind spot, if you will.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 1996 Joseph Drouhin Pommard

by Saina » Sun May 14, 2006 2:46 pm

Jenise wrote:
Finland is a vinous desert

One would actually never understand this judging by your tasting notes, Otto. But you made me laugh--I do not live in a vinuous desert, but I have referred to this area as 'Bordeaux Siberia'. I guess every area--outside of Los Angeles and New York, that is--has some kind of regional blind spot, if you will.

Jenise, most of the fun stuff I write about are from tastings. If I only wrote about stuff available in the shop, we'd have a case of mass suicide on this board. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. You're "lucky" only to be in Bordeaux Siberia: we're in Bordeaux, Burgundy, Piemonte, etc ad inf Siberia. :cry:
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.