Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Heard on Saturday Night Live

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Heard on Saturday Night Live

by Jenise » Sat May 13, 2006 12:55 pm

Tina Fey: "Scientists have discovered a fossil of a 375 million year old fish with a reptilian jaw and a swiveling neck that they say is a long-sought missing link between fish and walking land creatures. Disturbingly, they found it in a Red Lobster fried-seafood platter."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Heard on Saturday Night Live

by Robin Garr » Sat May 13, 2006 1:19 pm

Jenise wrote:Disturbingly, they found it in a Red Lobster fried-seafood platter."

Oh, that's hilarious! I just spewed bubble water all over the screen!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat May 13, 2006 5:16 pm

My mother died last weekend (85 - good long life) and Thursday between sessions of the wake we decided to go to a local Chinese buffet. After dinner my sister insisted everyone read their fortune cookies aloud. My sharp-witted son opened his cookie, removed the message and said "That wasn't really chicken". 8)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 13, 2006 5:46 pm

Sorry to hear about your mom, Howie.

That's a hilarious thing to get in a fortune cookie, though!!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat May 13, 2006 10:52 pm

Howie, sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she laughed (from a distance!) at your son's joke.

Jenise, indeed funny.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon May 15, 2006 12:07 am

I occasionally write "Your lunch is free" on the back of the fortune. I've gotten a number of laughs from the Chinese servers.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu May 18, 2006 7:55 pm

Your mom will always be with you. I found that over the six years since my mom died, all the ill things I ever thought of her evaporated and all the good things took on greater and greater meeting in my own life.

You know that chicken thing is no joke. I used to eat (I don't use 'dine' here) at a Chinese restaurant in Rochester, NY. The parts of chicken seemed smaller and tougher than the chicken I was used to. I had working apartment a couple of blocks away and for a while noticed members of the Chinese family feeding an ever-growing flock of pigeons on the restaurant roof. I thought it was odd. Daffy white people do stuff like that, but most Chinese are more practical. Then one day the pigeons were gone.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu May 18, 2006 9:40 pm

I hadn't considered pigeons, however, the owner of a local Chinese restaurant in Buffalo was arrested for clubbing mallards along the bank of a stream that runs through a park.
Speaking of pigeons, there is a large population of them in and around the plant I work at in Niagara Falls. A few years ago, a Red-Tailed Hawk came swooping down out of nowhere and nailed a pigeon in the girders on the side of the building. After a few minutes it carried the pigeon to a pipe bridge, just below the roof of another building. A robin perched itself on the edge of the roof, just above the hawk. Then two swallows started circling above the hawk and dive bombing its head, while it was trying to eat. Whenever it got distracted enough by the swallows, the robin would jump down from the roof to the pipe bridge and steal a piece of the pigeon. This went on for about a half hour, until the hawk took it's prey and flew away. There was such a crowd gathered watching all this, that we almost had to shut the plant down.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 19, 2006 12:35 pm

Howie, it's fun (and sometimes a little cruel) watching nature, isn't it? Sitting out last night we saw a seal about 100 feet off our shore catch a salmon. It is the way of the seal to then slap the fish back and forth on the water's surface to stun it into edible submission. This attracted a bunch of gulls who started circling around, awaiting the inevitable pieces that would float away once the seal got into his fish. And then along came an eagle....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri May 19, 2006 3:51 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I hadn't considered pigeons, however, the owner of a local Chinese restaurant in Buffalo was arrested for clubbing mallards along the bank of a stream that runs through a park.

We lived in Danville Virginia many years ago and a Chinese restaurant we frequented was closed for having cats in their freezer. This is a true story as we were there. They claimed it was for personal use but still makes me wonder when I go to a Chinese restaurant.
Wa;t