Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Great quote

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Great quote

by Jenise » Fri May 12, 2006 11:20 am

“Before I was born my mother was in great agony of spirit and in a tragic situation. She could take no food except iced oysters and champagne. If people ask me when I began to dance, I reply, ‘In my mother's womb, probably as a result of the oysters and champagne.’ "

--Isadora Duncan, American dancer (1878-1927)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Great quote

by Bob Ross » Sat May 13, 2006 12:07 pm

Jenise, the original quote added "-- the food of Aphrodite." It appears that way in My Life by Duncan. Champagne was one of the joys of her life; she also wrote about the period before WWI -- "Now it seemed to me more natural to sip champagne and have some charming person tell me how beautiful I was."

Did you see the Vanessa Redgrave version of her life -- Redgrave got an Academy Award nomination and was wonderful in the film.

Thanks for posting this quote -- Duncan was a wonderful role model and even in turn of the century photos one can see her grace and style: http://www.isadoraduncan.org/about_isadora.html

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Great quote

by Jenise » Sat May 13, 2006 12:54 pm

She was indeed a fabulous woman. Not just a dancer, but a woman who lived her whole life with passion, intelligence and charm. Few have been born like her.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov