The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Retailer Manners

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Retailer Manners

by Redwinger » Wed May 10, 2006 5:42 pm

OK, I'm browsing a few of the local wine shops today...not really looking to buy anything, due to the impending wrath of SWMBO if I spend any more $$ on wine for a while. I cruise through a retailers temperature controlled room I happened to notice a 2000 Voge V.V. Cornas for ~$55. Later as I'm poking around on the regular retail floor I spot the same wine on the shelf for ~$31. I pointed this discrepancy out to the wine manager, and he proceded to tell me he's new here from Chicago (whew, I'm really impressed), was going to work at the new Conrad hotel that just opened in town but decided instead to help the wine shop owner as a favor to get this store in order as the inmates had been in charge for too long, etc. and came across as quite full of himself. Never once any inkling of something resembling a thank you for pointing out the error...just more bullshit about himself. Bleh, dude.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Re: Retailer Manners

by Ed Draves » Wed May 10, 2006 6:27 pm

Perhaps you caught him at a bad time or on a bad day. What was he set to do at the hotel before he got into retail management as a favor for someone else? Perhaps it was not in a customer service capacity and he did not know any better.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu May 11, 2006 8:35 am

Bill,

We had the opposite experience about a month ago. In the climate controlled area of a wine shop I found a 1986 Latour on a shelf marked "Sale"- $69. I first got excited and then quickly realized that it had been mis-marked. I pointed it out to the manager who was quite appreciative. Even though the wine would never have gotten out of the store for $69 he gave us an extra 20% off of our purchases for pointing out the error.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu May 11, 2006 8:38 am

Sorry! I accidently posted the same message twice after correcting a spelling error. I'm sure how to cancel the first message.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 11, 2006 8:53 am

Sam Platt wrote:Sorry! I accidently posted the same message twice after correcting a spelling error. I'm [not] sure how to cancel the first message.

I deleted it, Sam. Come to think of it, this software is still so new to me, I don't know if anyone but moderators can delete their own messages. :) I see an X (delete) button at the upper right of the post - do you have one on your own posts?
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu May 11, 2006 9:04 am

Sam,
Nice job by the retailer. Sometimes all it takes is a "Thank You", whether that be verbal or monetary. As my Mom used to tell me, you can never be too busy to say please and thank you.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu May 11, 2006 10:04 am

Robin Garr wrote:I see an X (delete) button at the upper right of the post - do you have one on your own posts?

Robin,

No delete button on my end. Guess I better rethink my planned drunken rant on how much I hate Sancerre, as there appears to means by which to retract it if I have second thoughts.

BTW - Thanks for adding the [not] to my previous post.
Sam

no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu May 11, 2006 10:32 am

Robin Garr wrote: I see an X (delete) button at the upper right of the post - do you have one on your own posts?

I see one on my new posts, but not on older ones. Maybe something to do with whether a reply has been made?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 11, 2006 11:50 am

Redwinger wrote:Never once any inkling of something resembling a thank you for pointing out the error...just more bullshit about himself. Bleh, dude.

Bill,
I've had similar experiences with a certain Indy retailer whose name begins with "K." :wink: That's why I tend to take my business elsewhere, except when they're the only show in town.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu May 11, 2006 1:18 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I've had similar experiences with a certain Indy retailer whose name begins with "K."

Mark,

I've always had good experiences with the "K" folks in Indy. In fact, they are our primary wine shopping location. I find them relatively knowledgable and willing to admit what they don't know. I really like dealing with the British (?) guy who knows quite a bit about Burgundy. He has helped my Burg education immensely.
Sam

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu May 11, 2006 2:14 pm

Bill, that's an unusual reaction, and you have every right to bleh the dude. He seems amazingly self centered, and you have to wonder how successful he can be in a service industry -- the hotel business is certainly very demanding.

I've had a few people blow me off over the years for pointing out errors -- usually because they were embarrassed or could be criticized by their bosses for making errors, I suppose. But in the great majority of cases, people have been grateful.

One of the most interesting experiences was at the Tower Records shop near Lincoln Center some years ago. I learned later they had a practice of pricing new stock at different levels than existing stock. I found two identical collections of several operas marked $70 and $90.

I pointed out the discrepancy to the sales clerk -- Tower clerks were notoriously rude in those days -- who said, "Look, I'll buy one and you can buy the other. Let's see ... which shall I choose? Hmmm ... hard question, but I guess I'll take the cheaper one. Thanks."

And, he handed me the $90 collection.

At checkout, another clerk told me part of the fun of shopping at Tower was being insulted, and that finding mismarked merchandise was sort of a prize for putting up with sales staff.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:I see one on my new posts, but not on older ones. Maybe something to do with whether a reply has been made?

Could very well be, Clinton. That's a common way of handling deletion (and in some instances, editing) on forum systems. Funny this hasn't come up since we opened this version of the forum. We don't delete much. :)