The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Hello

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gavin Trott

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:32 pm

Australia

Hello

by Gavin Trott » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:53 pm

Robin et all

Hello from Australia.

Long time member, very occasional poster, given the obvious potential conflict of interest when posting (ITB).

Love the new format, now why does it look familiar?? :roll:

I'll lurk regularly, post occasionally as seems suitable.
regards

Gavin Trott
Australian Wine Centre
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Hello

by Randy Buckner » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:01 pm

very occasional poster, given the obvious potential conflict of interest when posting (ITB)

Nothing wrong with being ITB, Gavin. We need more ITB people posting. I for one welcome it. I hope ITB folks do not feel unwelcome here.
no avatar
User

Gavin Trott

Rank

Cellar rat

Australia

by Gavin Trott » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:04 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:
very occasional poster, given the obvious potential conflict of interest when posting (ITB)

Nothing wrong with being ITB, Gavin. We need more ITB people posting. I for one welcome it. I hope ITB folks do not feel unwelcome here.

Not unwelcome, just very cautious.

As I retail, and as I also run an equivalent wine forum (In Australia) I'm pretty careful about posting too much on other boards.

Mind you, in the nicest possible way, Robin and I go WAAAY back, to the days the dinosaurs roamed the internet, well, they certainly roamed the few wine forums, his and mine!

Perhaps I'll drop in and post the odd tasting note for wines not readily available there. As long as I make it plain I'm a retailer, people can bear that in mind.

Happy to respond to specific questions and queries also at any time.

Thanks for the welcome.
regards

Gavin Trott
Australian Wine Centre
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:15 pm

Where is "there" Gavin? If you mean the US of A, then I would imagine our American friends would appreciate notes on wines that they can actually buy. And we see quite a few Oz wines on this side of the pond as well.

I think as long as you don't say "I have got it for sale, buy it from me" then you will not be breaking any forum rules.

Wlecome from NZ.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:16 pm

Gavin Trott wrote:Mind you, in the nicest possible way, Robin and I go WAAAY back, to the days the dinosaurs roamed the internet, well, they certainly roamed the few wine forums, his and mine!

Hey, I resemble that remark. I roamed the Internet back in the days when it was the ARPAnet.

Perhaps I'll drop in and post the odd tasting note for wines not readily available there. As long as I make it plain I'm a retailer, people can bear that in mind.

Please do post your tasting notes, and I'd love to hear the Oz opinion on events in the wine world. For example, all the controversy over interstate shipping of wine here in the USA must seem very bewildering and amusing to you. Or maybe not. How does wine distribution work in Australia?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Gavin Trott

Rank

Cellar rat

Australia

by Gavin Trott » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:22 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
Please do post your tasting notes, and I'd love to hear the Oz opinion on events in the wine world. For example, all the controversy over interstate shipping of wine here in the USA must seem very bewildering and amusing to you. Or maybe not. How does wine distribution work in Australia?

-Paul W.

Where do I start! :lol: :lol:

I can send wine, any amount, to anywhere in Australia simply, affordably and legally.

I do require adult signatures, but that makes sense for avoiding minors getting the alcohol!

$12Aud, so <$10US, I can get a case of wine, Adelaide to Sydney, the next business day. Melbourne the same etc

Indeed, I ship many full cases to many areas freight free.

No restrictions, no states I can ship to or can't.

That said, I also run a US based site (In conjunction with a US retailer) and so keep up to date with the ever changing and strange US system.

It keeps me shaking my head though!
regards

Gavin Trott
Australian Wine Centre
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 pm

Gavin Trott wrote:I'll lurk regularly, post occasionally as seems suitable.

Hey, Gavin, very good to see you, old friend ... thanks for popping up.

As for that ITB thing, I can only echo what the others have said: We've long since achieved a good understanding with our many ITB participants. We value the knowledge and perspective that wine-business members bring to general wine conversations, and we're delighted that most ITBers are well aware of the difference between sharing useful information (with disclosure of any potential conflicts) and mere spam.

I can only recall one or two ITBers who've had a hard time understanding the diffeernce, and we generally hold their feet to the fire until they figure it out. :wink:
no avatar
User

Gavin Trott

Rank

Cellar rat

Australia

by Gavin Trott » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:25 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
Please do post your tasting notes, and I'd love to hear the Oz opinion on events in the wine world. .

I will post a tasting note or two.

The note will be accurate as tasted by myself, or more often, my tasting panel.

That said, it will contain retailer style, a touch of flowery language, after all, I am selling it.

That said, I do not promote or sell anything I don't think it excellent.

Most tasting panels try 8-10 wines, I rarely stock or promote more than 2 or 3 from that number, so rigorous, but then enthusiatic! :wink:
regards

Gavin Trott
Australian Wine Centre