The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly southern French

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Mostly southern French

by Florida Jim » Wed May 10, 2006 10:33 am

2004 Chapoutier, Tavel Rosé Beaurevoir:
Very nice; bone dry, excellent balance, clean, flavorful and even some complexity. It does carry 13.5% alcohol (but doesn’t show it) where I’d rather see at least a point lower and the only reason I quibble about such things is that it costs $22. And for that kind of money, I’ll look elsewhere for exactly what I want.

2003 Château La Roque, Pic Saint Loup:
Although the label does not say, I assume this is the Cuvée Classique (not the Cupa Numismae), which is made of 25% syrah, 45% Grenache and 35% mourvèdre. Garrigue and dark fruit on the nose with the same on the palate, noticeable but fine tannins and a worsted texture, good balance and sustain. A well-integrated wine with character and it does not seem to suffer from the vintage’s heat difficulties (13.5%). At $12, something I will buy again.
Thanks Claude.

N/V Roederer Estate, Anderson Valley Brut (Sparkling):
Crisp, clean, exuberant bead and just the slightest hint of RS. Thirst-quenching. About $16.

2003 Dom. du Joncier, Lirac:
Restrained on the nose and palate with a silken texture, very fine tannins and solid, sweet fruit in the mouth that is both elegant and balanced. Not quite as impressive as the last bottle (two weeks ago) but still good wine. About $12.

2004 Dom. de la Janasse, VdP Principaté D’Orange Terre de Bussière:
As mentioned in a recent note, a very well-honed and balanced wine that is worth every penny of its $12, asking price.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

Re: Mostly southern French

by robs_r » Wed May 10, 2006 11:32 am

I had the 2003 version of the Janasse not too long ago and definitly liked it - Here is my rather unspecific tasting note:

• 2003 Domaine de la Janasse Vin de Pays de la Principauté d'Orange Terre de Bussière - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vin de Pays de la Principauté d'Orange (12/9/2005)
    Very ripe and powerful. Intense nose of blackberries, huge wine with the stuffing to carry the high alcohol. Nice long finish. Very nice in its specific style. Drink or keep.

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria