The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2004 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Renner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

TN: 2004 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Renner

by Saina » Thu May 04, 2006 3:42 pm

I tried, with little luck, to drink a Joguet Chinon Clos du Chene Vert 1997 today. Corked. Screwcaps rock almost as much as Musar. Instead I opened a GV which rocked. Smashing wine, but so expressive right out of the bottle, that this probably isn't one for the decades - maybe drink over the next 5 years? Nice with a chicken/mushroom risotto with lots of fresh herbs (made originally for the Chinon - a favourite pairing with it! - but worked really well with the GV also).

• 2004 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Renner - Austria, Langenlois (5/4/2006) 17,55 euros 13% abv
    Slightly gold tinged. A pungent nose, very mineral but with fine fruit evident as well. There is that typical GV hint of acacia honey and dirt which almost smells like botrytis (which funkoholics like me love, which I suppose is what some tasters mean by the scent of wool in GV?!) and a touch of white pepper. The palate is also as typical GV as can be with exactly the same elements in evidence as on the nose; intense acidity which is ripe and almost floral in nature. Very long and very good.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: 2004 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Renner

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 04, 2006 4:15 pm

Screw capsdo indeed rock.

I think this Gruner will age longer than you might think. I've aged some smaller wines very well, and the Renner is not one of the smaller wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Fri May 05, 2006 4:51 am

Go Hirsch, the first with 100% screwcaps since vintage 2003. New in the 100% club, two Styrian Producers with vintage 2005: Meinhardt-Hube (in possession of Wohlmuth) and Weingut Tscheppe am Pössnitzberg (run by Erich & Walter Polz).
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 05, 2006 8:39 am

Michael...good to see you over here. Always looking for more warriors in the cork/screwcap battle!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri May 05, 2006 11:46 am

Speaking of more screwcap warriors, David, I was in a wine shop yesterday in SF and saw half bottles of Matrot Meursault 2004 IN SCREW CAPS!!!!

Chip, chip, chippin' away at TCA.