The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Abadia Retuerta Rivola 2001

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

WTN: Abadia Retuerta Rivola 2001

by Dave Moritz » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:21 pm

A Tempranillo and Cab Sauvignon blend, from Sardon del Duero, Castilla y Leon.

I opened this last eve to see how it was doing. Pretty little collection of crystals (both clear and purple) on the wine side of the cork! Garnet and a bit of pinking at the rim. Not much happening here on the nose (the slightest hint of red fruit and ginger) or on the palate (light, sweet strawberry fruit, mature tannin and low acid.)

Tried it again this evening at supper time. It has really opened up. The nose revealed some young Cab with cloves. More weight on the palate with some juicy cassis showing and a supple balance of fruit, acid and tannin. This wine could develop a few more years in the cellar, though it's a great food wine now. This was a ten-dollar wine when I picked up a case a few years ago.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Abadia Retuerta Rivola 2001

by James Dietz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:35 pm

The 2001 is the only vintage of this I have not had since 1998.. I have always found this to be an easy drinker, with good fruit and great with food. It also has been a wine that non-wine people like too.. and relaltively inexpensive...

thanx for the note, and reminding me I have none of this in my cellar from any year!! :oops:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

Re: WTN: Abadia Retuerta Rivola 2001

by Dave Moritz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:31 pm

For what it's worth, I've got only two bottles left! Ah, well. :(