The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Kinds of Rhône

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Three Kinds of Rhône

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:47 am

1998 Vieux Mas des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
This goes very well with bouillabaisse, plenty of brown waxy fruits in the apple pear realm, a bit of squidgy nutty character. Not profound, but fine with the food.

1998 Yves Cuilleron Saint-Joseph “Les Pierres Sèches”
Classic resolved Northern Rhone syrah, cool stony bubbles of red berries and pork. Not much in the way of firm structure, but not at all sloppy and silly either. Just straightforward regional syrah with a hint of breed and enough flair to make me want to drink another sip. Other bottlings from this producer see new oak, but this one is all the better for having less “ambition.” Not profound, but clean, quite refreshing, and I was sorry to see the others drain the bottle.

2003 Edmunds St. John Rocks and Gravel
Silky spicy refreshing purple fruits. Juicy, resolved, and drinking very well, not a heavy meaty wine and holding the 14.1% extremely well. Guzzle guzzle good to the last drop.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: Three Kinds of Rhône

by Bob Ross » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Thanks for the note on the Rocks and Gravel, Rahsaan. I was wondering what to have tonight! :-)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Three Kinds of Rhône

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:15 pm

Yes, go for it, I think another recent note here from Dale concurred that it was drinking well..