The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Nalle Zinfandel--Order has been restored

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2001 Nalle Zinfandel--Order has been restored

by Redwinger » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:09 am

WTN: 2001 Nalle Zinfandel, Sonoma Dry Creek Valley (13.5 ABV)
Those of you paying attention at home may have noted my recent disappointment with a bottle of 2004 Seghesio Home Ranch Zinfandel..bleh! In order to appease the Zinfadel gods, I opened this Nalle last evening to accompany some grilled Iowa hog ribs and order seems to have been restored and my past zinfadelities with that Seghesio harlot have been forgiven.
I always find it somewhat difficult to describe Nalle's wines as they usually are so damn balanced/integrated that no one or two aspects stand out. This bottle was no exception, but I'll give it a shot anyways:
Still very young, showing little sign of age. Bright, but not overpowering red cherry zin fruit with a touch of briary stuff. The nose has a floral aspect not unlike the Russian Olive shrub that is now floring in the garden. I found it intersting that this bottle dispayed an almost Rhone-like earthiness appearing/disappearing/reappearing in the background. I have had this wine 5 or 6 times previously and never noted this quality. As usual, this wine showed terrific acidity and a lingering pepper finish. We were truly disappointed when dinner was over and the wine fininshed.
If you have any of these, feel free to drink now, or if you have any willpower, let them rest in the cellar foranother 3 or 4 years...I'm betting they will show nicely.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nalle Zins....

by TomHill » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:33 am

Doug's Zins are always my go to wine when I crack something new open and am let down. At that point, I just want something/anything that tastes good. Nothing to pontificate over, nothing to ponder about...just something to enjoy. Doug never lets me down.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2001 Nalle Zinfandel--Order has been restored

by Jenise » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:01 pm

If more zinfandels strove for the elegant subtleties that Nalle achieves, I'd be a whole lot more interested in the grape. But alas, Nalles's pretty much a loner.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov