Why are we here? What's this all about? (Long, ruminative)

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Pre-thread Message

Postby David Lole » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:20 am

G'day Robin et al,

Just saw the new site was up and running. This phpBB software is much more user friendly (same as the two main Aussie wine forums). Hoping to post more often here in future.
Cheers,

David
David Lole
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1556
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:49 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Pre-thread Message

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:17 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:How does one print off here?


Bob, at a glance, it appears to me that one can only print the entire page, by using File > Print from your main Windows menu. Of course, it's always possible to select, copy and paste desired text into Notepad or Word or equivalent, then format and print from there.

But it does not seem to be possible to print a single message or group of messages from a page.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17155
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Fantastic news!

Postby Manuel Camblor » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:28 pm

Robin,

This is the best news I've received in weeks. Well done. While I had less trouble with the Netscape format than many others seemed to, I must say I never could make myself ocmfortable on that forum. Something just didn't resonate.

Let's hope this one will do the trick. Congratulations o na great decision.

Oh, and I would beleive "The Fish" is Jean Fisch. I resisted using "The Latin Liquidator", though, by my signature, you'll notice that identity is still pretty much on.
Best,

LL
Manuel Camblor
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Fantastic news!

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:49 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote:This is the best news I've received in weeks. Well done. While I had less trouble with the Netscape format than many others seemed to, I must say I never could make myself ocmfortable on that forum. Something just didn't resonate.

Let's hope this one will do the trick. Congratulations on a great decision.


Thanks, buddy! And you know we could still do that thing we talked about a while back very easily on this platform ...

Manuel Camblor wrote:Oh, and I would beleive "The Fish" is Jean Fisch. I resisted using "The Latin Liquidator", though, by my signature, you'll notice that identity is still pretty much on.


Yah, I figured that out seconds after I asked the Piscine One. I thought I edited that in.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17155
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

That "thing..."

Postby Manuel Camblor » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:53 pm

It's still a possibility, that thing. But for the future. At the moment I am beset by all sorts of worky-like things and some unexpected health issues that I need to deal with.

But you know I never let go of that idea and have been trying to find ways to make it work ever since we first talked about it. A WLDG "en español" would eb a lovely venue.

M.
Best,

LL
Manuel Camblor
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Hi, y'all!

Postby Jenise » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:41 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Well, I'm here. (Now--that's no cause for the rest of you to run away!) :D


Paul, good to see you. And a question--I emailed a bunch of people yesterday, including you, from Netscape's PM service, and a handful got bounced. I'm trying to figure out which those were, in two cases the email name isn't recognizable to me. One I thought might be yours, but here you are anyway. Did you get my email?--it will help me narrow down the remaining options.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26397
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Pre-thread Message

Postby wnissen » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:How does one print off here?


Bob, at a glance, it appears to me that one can only print the entire page, by using File > Print from your main Windows menu. Of course, it's always possible to select, copy and paste desired text into Notepad or Word or equivalent, then format and print from there.

But it does not seem to be possible to print a single message or group of messages from a page.

Robin and Bob,
It's quite easy to print a message or three. Simply select the messages you want to print with the mouse, as if you were going to copy them. Then, go to the Print menu and there should be something like "Print Range." Click on the option for "Print selection." Now, click "Print." Only the text and graphics you have selected will be printed.

I do this all the time to get "clean" copies of recipes and articles without all the junk. This works on Firefox and IE6, that is, virtually any modern browser.

Walt
Walter Nissen
User avatar
wnissen
Wine guru
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Pre-thread Message

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:20 pm

wnissen wrote:It's quite easy to print a message or three. Simply select the messages you want to print with the mouse, as if you were going to copy them. Then, go to the Print menu and there should be something like "Print Range." Click on the option for "Print selection." Now, click "Print." Only the text and graphics you have selected will be printed.


Most excellent! Thanks, Walt. I rarely if ever make printouts, so I'm not good at giving printer advice.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17155
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Fantastic news!

Postby John Tomasso » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Thanks, buddy! And you know we could still do that thing we talked about a while back very easily on this platform ...



Hey you guys. Get a room for pete's sake. :lol:
User avatar
John Tomasso
Too Big to Fail
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:27 pm
Location: Buellton, CA

Hurrah

Postby Eric LeVine » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:29 pm

Hurrah, good to be back. I am going to get that CellarTracker posting working here ASAP!
User avatar
Eric LeVine
Wine geek
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:27 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Pre-thread Message

Postby Steve Guattery » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
A question: is there any way to specify the width of the text display?


Steve, I don't think there's a direct way to do it, but here's a possible workaround: Go to Profile, and somewhere near the bottom of the page, either right above or right below the avatars, there's a choice item for Styles... some of them may have a more narrow forum display. One for sure, called PhpBBlite (I think) is a very, very spartan setup that I'm certain would fit.


Quick update: most of the styles are variable-width. The two exceptions are iCGstation and litemetal. I don't like phpBBlite much: Half the screen is the menu block, so only half the screen holds the messages, and only half of that is message text, so the messages end up long and skinny. However, the rest of the styles work just fine.
Steve Guattery
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:36 am
Location: Central Pennsylvania

This place is starting to look familiar

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:11 pm

Robin is running the show. Many of the people from the old WDLG are back. Maybe even Coad will deign to put in an appearance every now and then. As long as we have Paul B. to keep us on our toes, we'll be fine. I see even Paulo from Philly is back. I'm so happy. :D (That's the last time I use one of those! How cheesey!)
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10474
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Er, hello?

Postby Steve Kirsch » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:02 pm

Got my invite today, and thanks, Robin. Looking forward to getting back into the mix.
Steve Kirsch
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Er, hello?

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Steve Kirsch wrote:Looking forward to getting back into the mix.


Great, Steve! We'll be eager to hear what you've been drinking of late.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17155
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Pre-thread Message

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:51 pm

wnissen wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:How does one print off here?


Bob, at a glance, it appears to me that one can only print the entire page, by using File > Print from your main Windows menu. Of course, it's always possible to select, copy and paste desired text into Notepad or Word or equivalent, then format and print from there.

But it does not seem to be possible to print a single message or group of messages from a page.

Robin and Bob,
It's quite easy to print a message or three. Simply select the messages you want to print with the mouse, as if you were going to copy them. Then, go to the Print menu and there should be something like "Print Range." Click on the option for "Print selection." Now, click "Print." Only the text and graphics you have selected will be printed.

I do this all the time to get "clean" copies of recipes and articles without all the junk. This works on Firefox and IE6, that is, virtually any modern browser.

Walt


I have a question Walt or whoever. I seem to have changed the colour of the setup here. How do I reset this colour to what I want?
Regarding the printing, I am not too computer savvy. How does one select? Then you mention the "print menu..where is that? Also at the top here, what is "List" "List=" "Img". Also is there a way of getting a response to all my posts or do i just click onto bottom here...."notify me when a reply is posted". Do I have to do that with every post?
User avatar
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris
 
Posts: 9557
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Pre-thread Message

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:58 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I have a question Walt or whoever.


Bob, I'm just sitting down to dinner, but wanted to let you know that we hear ya, buddy! I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can later this evening, if one of our other gang doesn't beat me to it.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17155
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Pre-thread Message

Postby Neil Courtney » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Bob, to reset your colour scheme, click on 'Profile' at the top of the screen and change the 'Board Style' selection in the drop down list. Click 'Submit' at the bottom of the page (under the Avitar Control Panel) and it will change the colours and screen layout. Some of them are not very nice....

To select text for printing, click the mouse (left button) where you want to start the selection, and without lifting your finger, move the mouse to the end of the text you want and it will then be highlighted.

Or you can click the mouse at the start of the text that you want, move the mouse pointer to the end, and left click again WHILE HOLDING the SHIFT key down. This gets all text between the two mouse click positions.

The to print it. On your browser menu line, click File, then click Print... which will be about half way down the menu list. In the popup box that appears, at the bottom left of the box, click on the Radio button labeled Selection, then click Print. A Radio button will only allow you to select a single button from withing a group of buttons. Click Print. Jobs a good 'un.
Last edited by Neil Courtney on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
User avatar
Neil Courtney
Wine guru
 
Posts: 3312
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Hi, y'all!

Postby Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:13 pm

Jenise wrote:Did you get my email?--it will help me narrow down the remaining options.


Yes, I did get your email.

-Paul W.
User avatar
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm
Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire

Pre-thread Message

Postby John DeFiore » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:33 am

Hi All,

Glad to see everyone. I do like the feel of this forum more, though I hope we do get threaded sometime in the future. I definitely don't visit the new forum as much as I did the old; I'm not sure why that is. It wasn't a conscious decision, but somehow the old forum was like sitting around in your living room with friends, the new one was more like the tasting room at V. Sattui at the height of the tourist season. Lots of distractions, hard to get around, etc. This seems like a quieter place, I'll have to drop in more often.

Thanks, Robin!

John
John DeFiore
Wine geek
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:44 pm
Location: CA Bay Area

Pre-thread Message

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:41 am

John DeFiore wrote:I'll have to drop in more often.


We'll take you up on that, John! Good to see you.

(V. Sattui, mutter mutter mutter)
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17155
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Pre-thread Message

Postby Carl K » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:40 am

Just finally got a chance to check my e-mail. So glad to see the new digs. Like many, I was finding the Netscape forums uncomfortable, yet I could never really say why. I think John hit it on the head when he compared the Netscape digs to a formal tasting room.
Carl K
Wine geek
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:12 am
Location: Charleston, SC

How to use the forum.

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:58 am

Robin, I was trying some things out last night on the "how to use the forum".
The post is not there this morning/ What happened? There were some questions there as I was entering!
User avatar
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris
 
Posts: 9557
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Pre-thread Message

Postby Randy Buckner » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:11 pm

Just finally got a chance to check my e-mail. So glad to see the new digs.


Hey, Karl, good to see you found us. Lot's better, eh?
User avatar
Randy Buckner
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:46 pm
Location: Puget Sound

Fantastic!

Postby Bonnie in Holland » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:40 pm

Robin, this is a super step forward! I wasn't a fan of the Netscape forums but this looks just great. Thanks very much, as I missed the old WLDG forums. My thanks as well to Randy Resnick for letting me know!
cheers, Bonnie
Bonnie in Holland
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: The Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to The Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests