The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Drappier, Chablis 1988, 2x Robert Weil

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Drappier, Chablis 1988, 2x Robert Weil

by Saina » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:58 pm

A little dinner with a good friend of mine. He likes Champagne very much so we opened one up. We also enjoy minerals so we drank a few pebbles. Didn't really work well with smoked salmon pasta with cherry tomatoes. The salmon was too salty and too smoky.

• N.V. Drappier Champagne Carte d'Or Brut - France, Champagne, Reims, Champagne (4/9/2006)
    Dark, verging on rosé! Lovely fruit forward yet savoury nose - simple perhaps, but so perfectly balanced that the slight lack of complexity doesn't matter. The palate is similar: fruit forward but with very nice acidity and length. Quite a lovely cheap champ.
  • 1988 Domaine Bernard Defaix Chablis Vaillons 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Chablis (4/9/2006)
    A very strange wine. The lightest yellow with some green - utterly unevolved. The nose was strange too: grassy, mineral, peach stones, but also vanillary rancid butter. Did Defaix use oak? I thought not, but was this an early experiment? The palate is much better with no hint of rancid butter: nice aged, sweet fruit, but lovely tart acids and minerality backing it up. Also no hint of oak on the palate. Immensly long aftertaste of hedge and minerals. The nose was nice enough despite the hint of rancid butter but the palate was good. As a whole, I can only repeat myself: a very strange wine, but not unappealing. Seems much younger. Better from a Montrachet than a Chablis glass.
  • 2004 Weingut Robert Weil Riesling Spätlese Trocken - Germany, Rheingau (4/9/2006)
    Light as water. The nose was funny. At first I would have sworn someone had substituted the contents with Albariño when I wasn't looking (a joke that my friend might very well have done): peach, sea breeze, warm fruit; but with air the Riesling aspects began appearing and especially the minerality and citrus fruits came well to the fore. It is tight but promising. The palate had the loveliest acidity and minerality, fine fruit, typical intensity, fine aftertaste, just perhaps a little lacking in complexity but very, very fine indeed.
  • 2003 Weingut Robert Weil Kiedricher Gräfenberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheingau (4/9/2006)
    Light gold. Sweetly fruity nose with all the typical young Riesling aromas but slightly diffuse - it isn't as tightly wrought as such a young Riesling ought to be. The palate is sweetish, ripely acidic, savoury, rather complex and mineral - but as with the nose, it just isn't as compact as it should be: nice but a tad diffuse. A year ago I thought this to be an exception to the 2003s in that it was fine and lacked the signs of overt heat, but this has developed rather fast. I am not anymore convinced of the structure and the focus. It is just too soft.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: Drappier, Chablis 1988, 2x Robert Weil

by Bob Ross » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:15 pm

2004 Weingut Robert Weil Riesling Spätlese Trocken.

How much more time to develop would you give this Riesling, Otto?

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Drappier, Chablis 1988, 2x Robert Weil

by Saina » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:45 pm

Bob Ross wrote:2004 Weingut Robert Weil Riesling Spätlese Trocken.

How much more time to develop would you give this Riesling, Otto?

Regards, Bob

My advice is buy 3 btls. Drink one now for its lovely extrovert freshness. Drink one in four years just to confirm that in maybe 8 years this will be good. But take all this not with a grain but a ton of salt, because I don't really like Trockens so I've absolutely no idea how they age. Maybe someone else does? I'd be interested, also...
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.