The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Ch. de Montmirail Vacqueyras Cuvée des Saints Papes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

WTN: 2000 Ch. de Montmirail Vacqueyras Cuvée des Saints Papes

by geo t. » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:09 am

2000 Château de Montmirail Vacqueyras Cuvée des Saints Papes, $22, 13.5% alc.: This deep, dark garnet Vacqueyras is a bit tight on the nose at first, but the aromatics do open with air to show much of the big, rich dark plum and berry character with earth, iron, garrigue and chocolate accents that the flavors so generously offer. A big dose of tannins can’t clamp down completely on the impressive fruit, and the wine already shows a delicious depth of flavor, getting better and better with air, but of course, it has years of improvement left ahead of it. A 10-year wine and more from a producer whose wines we’ve greatly enjoyed in the past.

Imported by J et R Selections, Mount Pleasant, MI

- From More Red Wings and Red Rhônes 2006

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: TN: 2000 Ch. de Montmirail Vacqueyras Cuvée des Saints Papes

by Redwinger » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:54 am

George,
Was this a recent "release" or something that has been in the cellar for a couple of years? The reason I ask is that we're seeing quite a few Rhone 2000/2001"new releases" from J et R down here and most of them are pretty tasty. This isn't one of them, but sounds like something I might enjoy. Perhaps I should pester a local retailer?
Danke,
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:30 am

Talking hockey these days!!?? Good game for you here in Edmonton last night.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:54 pm

Redwinger wrote:George,
Was this a recent "release" or something that has been in the cellar for a couple of years? The reason I ask is that we're seeing quite a few Rhone 2000/2001"new releases" from J et R down here and most of them are pretty tasty. This isn't one of them, but sounds like something I might enjoy. Perhaps I should pester a local retailer?
Danke,
Redwinger

Curly, we bought this in November when we did our interview with Tommie and Matt at Morgan and York, so it was available fairly recently, and on special to boot. We should have bought three, so we could have had a few in reserve, but I might be able to dig up a few more throught my operatives...

I'd pester if I were you!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :twisted:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:38 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Talking hockey these days!!?? Good game for you here in Edmonton last night.

Red Wings and Red Rhones; it's what we do here in Day-twah, Bob!

Yes, it was a good game for our guys last night.

I have to tell you, I love how you can hear so many of the fans singing along with "Oh Canada" before the start of the game up there in Edmonton. That doesn't happen here, or very many other places that I've ever noticed in the US or Canada. Maybe I'm just not listening closely enough.

I was a big fan of the Glory Years Oilers (except when they played our Wings, of course), and was so happy to see them win one more Cup after #99 departed, but WITH Petr Klima! He sure wore out his welcome in Day-twah, and almost, but not quite ruined his career here. I happened to meet him in my previous place of employment just before the season that wasn't was about to start in '04, and he seemed very humble, and appreciative that someone actually still recognized him. I wonder where he is now?

Hopefully, I'll be able to monitor the game tomorrow, since we have several TVs situated throughout the retail outlet that I ply my trade in, and I'll be lobbying heavily for them ALL to have the Wings vs Oilers on. I won't be able to conjure any Red Rhone mojo, but Kim just might!

By the way, do you know our friends Ruth and Stacy up there? They're wine geeks, and if you know them, I don't need to use last names, although Ruth has posted her more than a time or two, and I wish she would more. I will add that Ruth used to be a sports journalist, and covered the Oilers during the "Glory Years." Here's a picture from our last escapade.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :D
Nunquam Spuemus