The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

High alcohol article, also Washington Merlot tasting.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

High alcohol article, also Washington Merlot tasting.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:05 am

http://www.sfgate.com/wine

Perhaps someone could set up a link, I do not know how. Maybe it works like this, not sure.
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

Re: High alcohol article, also Washington Merlot tasting.

by Manuel Camblor » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:19 am

Interesting. Coincidentally, the cover story on, of all things, this month's Wine Enthusiast magazine is about this subject, too. The article is titled "Wine On Steroids".

The funny thing, having merely skimmed the SF Gate article (I'll read it calmly over lunch, then post real comments) is that I see the author denouncing the whole high-alcohol bit, but still trotting out that by-now-old-chestnut of "nevertheless, today wine is better than ever".

Delicious, the Kool Aid, isn't it?
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:53 pm

John D. Zuccarino wrote:Hello Bob,

They tell me they want to get zonked so they can forget the current world's problems as well as their own. Bottom line they want the effect not the enjoyment that wine can invoke with a lower alcohol level.

This may sound silly, but people are getting larger and the more body weight the more you need the hot wine.

Vodka is more cost-and-energy-effective. Actually goes better with some foods than most of today's boozy wood jams.
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:06 pm

Well, perhaps you should figure out some sort of joint venture with one of the nice vodka distilleries. While I've seen vodkas with every flavoring imaginable, I have yet to encounter an Absolut Catawba-Concord. Should be a hit.
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:10 pm

Having read the article during my lunch break, as promised,, all I can say is that, while on the surface it appears inoffensive, if I think about it I am repulsed by the idea of someone actually excusing the phenomenon of ultra-high-alcohol wine that is affecting the industry these days.

And I laughed my ass off at the whole bit of the New World terroirs being "alcoholic". I tell you, some people have zero shame.
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:17 pm

I don't know Manuel; every time I want a good, cheap buzz I go outside and eat some dirt. I think it's about 15% by volume, unfermented. The percentage varies based on the amount of stones, dandelions, and worms.
Thomas P