The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN 2001 Ch. Jonqueyres $10

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

WTN 2001 Ch. Jonqueyres $10

by Dave Moritz » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:24 am

Always on the lookout for a bargain Bordeaux with good bones (structure). Tried this last week: 2001 Ch. Jonqueyres; AOC: Bordeaux Superior; Importer: Import! Wines, Inc. of Madison, WI.

Day 1: Delightfully classic claret nose with complex and restrained flavors to match. Great balance between structure and fruit. Resolved tannins. Definitely a merlot-driven blend. I recall somewhere that the producer is a right-banker from Cotes de Blaye.

Day 2: Fruit really moving forward at this tasting, but still a nice enough claret example.

Day 3: Very fruity, but something volatile emerging.

Day 4: Drain cleaner.

Buy again? Maybe, if it could be downed in a day. FYI. the 2000 of this wine was crackin' good, though I did run in to two corked bottles in a case.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN 2001 Ch. Jonqueyres $10

by Jenise » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:04 am

Interesting report, not a producer I've seen before. Did you notice if it was made and bottled at the chateau, or was it a negociant wine? Sounds like the upshot of your experience is: no greatness, but one could do worse for $10.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

Re: WTN 2001 Ch. Jonqueyres $10

by Dave Moritz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:38 pm

Jenise:
Yes, that would be a good description of this wine's utility. Regarding your question, I've got to admit to an "oops!" I little digging on the web revealed that the chateau is located in Entre Deux Mers (not Blaye).

The bottle's label makes no reference to a negociant wine, only "Proprietaire a St. Germaine du Puch." I found a good description of the estate at the Adventures in Wine web site. After reading through it, I got the impression that this is a domaine wine.

Dave...