Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Growing peas for salad greens

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Growing peas for salad greens

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:23 pm

I had a great salad last week at Bishop's restaurant in Vancouver that had pea greens in it. I've sauteed pea greens in chinese cookery, but never considered the salad angle before. One try convinced me it's a must-have, and I'd like to grow some myself for that purpose.

Peas are not something I've grown before, but I'm aware of the conventional stake-trellised growing system for peas when what one wants is the pods. After looking at some pea starters at the nursery on Sunday, however, and considering the desirability of the more infantile green part, made me consider the viability of growing them in a hanging pot. It looks like it'd be a natural: after all, I'm not after the peas or the flowers, I just want to pinch off the green part now and then and add them to salads.

A question to any of you master gardeners out there, then is: is there any reason I shouldn't try growing them this way?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Growing peas for salad greens

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:25 pm

My guiding principle in gardening (and cooking)... go ahead and try it. What can it hurt? And this is a particularly inexpensive experiment, Jenise.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Remember that peas like it cool though. I wouldn't hang a pot in the hottest or sunniest location on your porch.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:29 pm

I'm not after the peas or the flowers, I just want to pinch off the green part now and then and add them to salads.

Jenise, by harvesting and using the posd while the peas have not yet formed, you might just be doing yourself a dis-service. IMO one of the delights of a garden is really really fresh green peas and really small new potatoes in a cream sauce. Yummy stuff IMO.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:58 am

Oh Bob, I know how great fresh peas are, but I don't have the garden space to grow regulation peas. A hanging basket of pea greens, though, that I can do--I'll just hang them on the iron spiral staircase to the roof deck.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov