The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN (of sorts): Precursor to tomorrow + Loirey stuff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN (of sorts): Precursor to tomorrow + Loirey stuff

by Saina » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:12 pm

Tomorrow promises to be an exciting day! First of all, after a gruelling day at work, I will attend a small Musar tasting including the 66 and 77 + a few younger vintages. Then I'll attend a large tasting of Sassicaia, which is a wine made in a style I am afraid of - hence the antidote taken beforehand ;)

Tonight I had dinner with an Archaeologist/Byzantologist friend of mine. She likes Loire castles; I like Loire wines; she doesn't at all mind drinking Loire wines; I don't mind at all looking at such modern archaeological sites as Medieval castles! So we thought that later on this summer we'd go off to the Loire and cycle (? if possible) around a bit doing a bit of rocky stuff - both looking at piles of them in different states of archaeological interest and drinking them. Can anyone give practical advice on whether a trip like this can be done on bicycle? Also cheap accomodation tips (really, really cheap as we're both poor students who prefer to spend their little monies on smart stuff like Archaeology and Wine!) would be really welcome. Also any must see Medieval Castles and must see Wineries apart from the obvious will be welcome!

While discussing this lovely trip, we of course drank a favourite wine of our's: Chateau Musar Rouge 1997

Tastes like Musar. Yum.

Cheers,
Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN (of sorts): Precursor to tomorrow + Loirey stuff

by James Roscoe » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:36 pm

Otto,
As an American, anything from before 1500 AD sounds ancient. What's your definition? I can't say I'd call the Loire Valley castles modern. I also wish I could see them. There is nothing like having a child in college and two more to go to keep you from such things. Enjoy!
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:08 pm

As an American, anything from before 1500 AD sounds ancient.

James, I think to most Americans anything prior to 1960 is ancient. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:54 pm

Jenise
Does that make me ancient? I'm from 1959? I dont feel all that ancient. To be honest, the only time I felt I was looking at anything ancient in person were some Mayan ruins outside of Cancun. It's the only time I've ever ventured to a non-English speaking country. They were pretty cool though I can't recall their name right now.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:55 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Otto,
As an American, anything from before 1500 AD sounds ancient. What's your definition? I can't say I'd call the Loire Valley castles modern. I also wish I could see them. There is nothing like having a child in college and two more to go to keep you from such things. Enjoy!
Cheers!
James

James I'm a student of Assyriology and I've mostly concentrated on Sumerian and the early dialects of Akkadian. Hence anything older than that (i.e. 3000 BC) is old, and anything younger than that (i.e. 1500 BC) is modern! ;) Hence (here philosophers will cringe) the Loire castles are practically post-modern! :roll:
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.