Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cheese please!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Cheese please!

by Saina » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:06 pm

Do tell me, what are your favourite cheeses which are so matured that all lactose is gone!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cheese please!

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:11 pm

This happens? When cheese gets old enough all the lactose is gone? Would love to hear of examples you've had.

Oh, and another question. On a per volume basis, is there an equal amount of lactose in sheep, cow and goats milks?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:16 pm

Jenise wrote:This happens? When cheese gets old enough all the lactose is gone? Would love to hear of examples you've had.

Oh, and another question. On a per volume basis, is there an equal amount of lactose in sheep, cow and goats milks?

I meant what are good hard, aged cheeses à la Parmigiano reggiano, Zamorano, etc. These don't have lactose, ergo I am able to eat them. IIRC the process was a little similar to malolactics.

No idea to the second question.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:36 pm

So Mimolette, aged goudas at 3 years, those are safe, too?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:18 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Jenise wrote:I meant what are good hard, aged cheeses à la Parmigiano reggiano, Zamorano, etc. These don't have lactose, ergo I am able to eat them. IIRC the process was a little similar to malolactics.

No idea to the second question.

Lactose intolerance is caused by failure of the small intestines to secrete the digestive enzyme lactase, which splits up the disaccharide lactose (milk sugar) into its component monosaccharides glucose and galactose. Without lactase, the lactose remains in the gut, where it's fermented by bacteria that produce gas and other intestinal irritants. The result is various sorts of tummy upsets such as bloating, flatulence, and diarrhea. Most unpleasant.

All mammals secrete lactase as infants. Most, including most humans, lose the ability to secrete lactase once weaned. Caucasians and their descendants in Europe, Western Asia, and the Indian subcontinent are among the few ethnic groups that still secrete lactase as adults, although even among these folks lactase secretion can suddenly cease during adulthood. Lactose intolerance is thought to be why Chinese and other East Asian cuisines are almost completely devoid of milk products.

Aged cheeses, and yogurt, are often digestible by those with lactose intolerance because the microorganisms in the cheese/yogurt have digested all or most of the lactose.

There's also a product on the market (Lactaid is one US brand) that is a preparation containing the lactaid enzyme. You eat some of this before or with a meal containing lactose and the enzyme in the supplement replaces the natural lactase, allowing you to digest milk products in comfort.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:19 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh, and another question. On a per volume basis, is there an equal amount of lactose in sheep, cow and goats milks?

They do differ in the amount of lactose. I don't know which is better or worse in that regard. I think they all have enough to cause problems for lactose-intolerant people.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:30 pm

I can't remember where I ran across it (TV? Book?) but I recall a story where the Vikings of Lief Ericson, landed in North America, bringing cattle with them. To make peace with the local Inuit tribe, they invited them to a banquet and fed all the Inuits milk. The Inuits all got sick and declared war, thinking the Vikings were trying to poison them, and drove the Vikings out of North America. :oops:
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:47 pm

Paul, thanks, I believe you've wrote that before!

So Mimolette, aged goudas at 3 years, those are safe, too?
Yes, those go. But I'm looking for new types of hard, aged cheeses to try and was looking for reccos and maybe even recipes to use them in and good wine pairings. Ambitious I am!
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh, and another question. On a per volume basis, is there an equal amount of lactose in sheep, cow and goats milks?

I don't know about the volume, but I do know that goat's milk is much easier to digest and can be safely consumed by many lactose-intolerant people.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:39 pm

Howie Hart wrote:the Vikings of Lief Ericson, landed in North America, bringing cattle with them. To make peace with the local Inuit tribe, they invited them to a banquet and fed all the Inuits milk. The Inuits all got sick and declared war, thinking the Vikings were trying to poison them, and drove the Vikings out of North America. :oops:

This mooooving event was retribution for the Indians giving the Vikings skunky labrusca wine which made them throw up....thus constituting the first review of wine from native North American grapes......

[img]http://e4u.deltait.com.au/dressed/bek030.gif[/img] [img]http://e4u.deltait.com.au/dressed/bek166.gif[/img] [img]http://e4u.deltait.com.au/dressed/bek030.gif[/img] [img]http://e4u.deltait.com.au/dressed/bek166.gif[/img] [img]http://e4u.deltait.com.au/dressed/bek030.gif[/img]

[img]http://e4u.deltait.com.au/dressed/bek127.gif[/img] [img]http://e4u.deltait.com.au/dressed/bek127.gif[/img] [img]http://e4u.deltait.com.au/dressed/bek127.gif[/img]
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:39 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:I don't know about the volume, but I do know that goat's milk is much easier to digest and can be safely consumed by many lactose-intolerant people.

Doug, that's what I thought I'd read.