Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hey Paul, another use for fenugreek leaves

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Hey Paul, another use for fenugreek leaves

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:31 pm

My husband called and said he was coming home for lunch, would be here in only ten minutes. Egads! The fridge was pretty empty, but from it I was able to prepare a half avocado stuffed with cumin-flavored butter beans and strips of sun-dried tomato. And out of the pantry came one of my standby's--canned asparagus, which in combination with broth and milk and flour and some fresh herbs turns quickly into a pretty good cream of asparagus soup. For a fresher effect, I had some fresh spears in the fridge which I sliced into thin rings to give the soup little bursts of flavor and texture. As it cooked, I thought something about it smelled familiar-but-not-quite. And then I realized that 'something' reminded me of the fenugreek leaves I added to last weekend's garbanzo-noodle soup. So in went a few pinches plus some white pepper. The result? KILLER! Interestingly, strong as fenugreek is, it didn't stand out at all--rather, in the way of the best support players, it just gave the asparagus flavor a steroidal intensity. I'll exploit this effect again some time when I can serve it as a dinner first course and pair it with a good gruner veltliner.
Last edited by Jenise on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

You have your guy spoiled Jenise.....would he not settle for .....

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:08 pm

a tuna sandwich? Have to admit, mine is spoiled, as well. He likes the leftovers, and I always have something frozen in the freezer, especially home made soup. He is not opposed to opening a can of chilie....some are not bad.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: You have your guy spoiled Jenise.....would he not settle for .....

by Jenise » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:16 pm

Karen, to be honest, mine would probably be thrilled with canned chile. He loves a chile and it's something I rarely make--canned would be better than nothing. Oh, and he's Texan, so with it I would need to give him chopped onions, cheap cheddar, soda crackers and a Diet Coke.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

And....

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:31 pm

... no beans.