The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 3 Nice French wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 3 Nice French wines

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:23 pm

We drove into the city on a miserably, rainy Saturday night to meet up with friends at Red Cat. The place was bustling, and our friends were already seated at the table. Nothing like a couple of wine geeks checking out the wine list while our spouses chit chatted and basically ignored us. We settled on a 2004 Domaine du Closel Saviennieres La Jalousie to begin. Oh so young with good acidity, light honey and lots of floral - a very nice beginning, it picked up weight as the night wore on, and my half glass saved for dessert, showed more sweetness. My friend wanted a red to go with his steak-hmmm, he seemed to forget that there were 3 others who may not be ordering steak. It didn't matter as it ended up that one had calves liver, and another steak. I forwent my usual fish for duck to have something hefty to go with a 1996 Les Pagodes de Cos -great nose of coffee and cherries on this dark purple St. Estephe. Mouth coating earthiness with moderate tannins - ideal wine for steak.
Last night at home, we opened a 1998 Dom de la Charbonniere Chateauneuf du Pape Les Hautes Brusquieres. Finally, this has opened. About 2 years ago, when last tried, it showed absolutely nothing. Now it shows an herb, cherry and floral nose. Rich tasting, and loaded with spice leading to a long, lovely finish. Drinking beautifully, and a good wine weekend.
Tonight, we will be back in the city for an Italian wine dinner.
Diane
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: 3 Nice French wines

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:02 pm

We settled on a 2004 Domaine du Closel Saviennieres La Jalousie to begin. Oh so young with good acidity, light honey and lots of floral - a very nice beginning, it picked up weight as the night wore on, and my half glass saved for dessert, showed more sweetness.

Interesting note. When you say sweetness, how much rs are you talking about? Still, good to hear that it improved and picked up weight with air. We had a bottle last week that seemed a bit loose and lacking the depth and texture of one year ago, but perhaps it is just shutting down/needs aeration, and we didn't give it enough before sucking it dry.

And yes, how annoying when one person hogs the wine choice..

Sounds like you made do..
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: TN: 3 Nice French wines

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:16 pm

It did lack some structure, but I think it will be better in a couple of years. By the end of the evening, I tasted a good amount of rs. I don't own any, but if I did, I wouldn't be opening any too soon.

Yea...we did okay.
Diane