Lamb fillets for tonights dinner - should I marinade them?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Lamb fillets for tonights dinner - should I marinade them?

Postby Peter May » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 pm

They're tender boneless fillets meant for grilling but I wondered about marinading them first. Whaddya think? And if so, with what?
Peter May
Wine guru

Re: Lamb fillets for tonights dinner - should I marinade the

Postby Robin Garr » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:19 pm

Peter May wrote:They're tender boneless fillets meant for grilling but I wondered about marinading them first. Whaddya think? And if so, with what?

(Trying the "quote" function.)

Peter, Jenise has an interesting thread on the NS/CS forum in which she speaks with delight of brining lamb chops. When I make them at home, however, I rarely if ever bother with a marinade. Pan-sear them in a little olive oil with plenty of garlic and fresh rosemary branches to infuse the dish with flavor; or salt and pepper them and cook them rare over charcoal on the grill: Those are my favorite lamb-chop preparations, and as adventurous as I can be in the kitchen, I rarely feel inspired to tamper with success in this department.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Jenise » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:35 pm

Peter May wrote:They're tender boneless fillets meant for grilling but I wondered about marinading them first. Whaddya think? And if so, with what?

Robin mentioned my brining thread, but that was dealing with American mutton and a roast to boot--without doctoring, I just can't eat most American lamb, it's so strong. But good boneless filets like yours need little else but salt, and like Robin I tend to embellish somewhat for the sake of variety. So with really good lamb I wouldn't marinate, but I might encrust--coarse pepper corns, olive oil and smooshed garlic, say, or just crushed lavendar and salt.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Sorry this is so late.

Postby GeoCWeyer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:47 pm

With lamb it is always a good idea to remove all the fat and connective tissue ans it is with venison. Without the fat it can become quite dry so it is best to marinade it. Since I love the flavor of lamb, I use just a simple marinade of 3-4 qts water and 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar. I mariande for about 2 hours. Then I brush on what ever olive oil herb/
spice combination I choose to use at the moment.

Be sure to let the meat rest for a few minutes before cutting.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
GeoCWeyer
Wine guru

Postby Sue Courtney » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:52 pm

Here's a method I posted to my website to match to Heron's Flight Dolcetto 2004 from Matakana, New Zealand.

Cut any sinewy bits from the fillets and marinate for about 45 minutes in olive oil, crushed garlic, lemon-scented thyme (which is what I have in the garden, but ordinary thyme will do) and ground black pepper.
Cook on a very hot BBQ plate for 2 minutes each side, then leave to rest for about 5 minutes before being plated.

Cheers,
Sue
Sue Courtney
Wine guru

Return to The Forum Kitchen