The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Californians were in a bar...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Three Californians were in a bar...

by Jenise » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:57 pm

...or actually, at buddies Jeff and Lynette's house on Friday night. They just built a gorgeous house up the street, and Gary and Dorothy have lived in this neighborhood for six years. We're all about the same age and we all moved here, quite coincidentally, from the same small California beach town with wine collections in tow. As good a reason as any, and better than most, to play pool on a Friday night and pull some corks.

1993 Kenwood Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma
Slightly cloudy garnet color plus a bit of stewed prune in the nose suggest imperfect storage somewhere along this wine's path, and a bit of oxidative flavor toward the bottom of the glass says the wine's had better days.

1994 Cuvaison Merlot, Napa
Better and more satisfying than the Kenwood with a minerally black currant nose and leathery scents. Getting tired, though: low acid and a faint madeira flavor in the finish suggest it's at the end of it's useful life.

1999 Carmenet "McNab Ranch" Merlot, Mendocino
My contribution and a bit of a disappointment. The wine has lost it's herb-and-black fruit acuity without any gaining any of the interesting secondary development which I would have expected six years out. Not even a hint. I'd rather drink the Cuvaison.
Last edited by Jenise on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Three Californians were in a bar...

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:32 pm

Okay, I am confused again (or perhaps still).

I thought we were supposed to include the "TN" acronym at the start of the subject line. Now I see you using "WTN" which, I assume, stands for Wine Tasting Note.

Are we to use WTN now? Just when I think I have life figured out, things change. :?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:32 pm

Bruce,

The search engine does not recognize two letter search strings, so WTN is in reponse to that. It's a new issue from moving over here, but one easily dealt with.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:07 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Okay, I am confused again (or perhaps still).

I thought we were supposed to include the "TN" acronym at the start of the subject line. Now I see you using "WTN" which, I assume, stands for Wine Tasting Note.

Are we to use WTN now? Just when I think I have life figured out, things change. :?

Here's the issues:

The tasting note/recipe archiving software only recognizes "TN:" or "RC:" in the title. If your tasting note or recipe note doesn't have a title that starts with one of those strings, it won't be archived.

The new forum software has a minimum of 3 characters for a search string. Hence, you can't use the forum's search facility to find "TN" or "RC" (note that the colon doesn't count--it's considered punctuation).

I proposed a hybrid solution to keep both the archiver and the forum search facility happy:

Start the subject line of a tating note with "TN:", as at present. Then put "WTN" (for Wine Tasting Note) at the start of the body of the note itself. This will keep both the archiver and the search facility happy. For recipes in FLDG, use "RC:" in the subject and "RCP" in the body.

I discussed this with Robin and Jenise via mail and they thought it was a good idea. They were supposed to make an official announcement of this, but apparently haven't got around to it yet.

-Paul W.