The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Foley Syrah and Septima Malbec

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: Foley Syrah and Septima Malbec

by Redwinger » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:51 am

Both of these notes are impressions from a recent store tasting. Both bottles had been open, but not decanted, for approximately 90 minutes.

TN: 2002 Foley (Estate) Syrah, Santa Rita Hills, Ranch Santa Rosa
Just a bit of black fruit on the nose and palate. It is either completely closed down or there just isn't much going on here. Rather simple and one dimensional (I'm being generous). Someone remarked that: "it just lays there on your palate and doesn't do very much. Sort of like a $5 hooker". I guess that pretty much sums it up. Not flawed nor poorly made, but just nothing there to hold my interest for very long. Not recommended, especially at the $29.98 price point.

2003 Septima Malbec
I don't have much experience with Malbec, but I was impressed with this wine. If I had tasted this blind I'm not sure what I would have guessed, but it probably would have been Tempriillo from Spain. The Malbec had nice extraction, with decent fruit levels, mildly oaked, and enough tannic structure to hold everything together. A very nice table wine when you're looking for a change of pace. Priced at $9.98
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

$5 hookers

by Jenise » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:01 am

While I cannot corroborate that amusing comparison, I can say that your description is classic of a sleeping wine, though I'm surprised that an 02 (let alone by Foley) would be so totally asleep by now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: $5 hookers

by Redwinger » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Jenise wrote:While I cannot corroborate that amusing comparison, I can say that your description is classic of a sleeping wine, though I'm surprised that an 02 (let alone by Foley) would be so totally asleep by now.

Jemise/Everyone,
Just in case there is/was any confusion. This Foley Syrah is from Foley Estates and Wm. Foley II is the owner/wimemaker. I don't believe there is any connection with Robert (Bob) Foley of Napa fame, but I could be wrong about that.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: $5 hookers

by Jenise » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:03 pm

Bill--got that difference, the other Foley is the winemaker at Pride, isn't that right? Anyway, a neighbor of mine is a big fan of Foley's pinot noirs (lucky me, I like those wines), so I get to taste them often.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov