The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ch. Leoville-Las-Cases (St. Julien) 1985

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Ch. Leoville-Las-Cases (St. Julien) 1985

by David Lole » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:34 pm

After opening the super '85 Ch. Canon the other night, I invited a couple of good friends (both knowledgeable wine drinkers) over last night (for me) to make a relatively fresh comparison. Still a very deep ruby with virtually no bricking. Powerful, masculine, minerally (almost ferrous) bouquet housing a brooding, classy mix of graphite, deep-set curranty fruit, briar, black olives, herbs and plenty of newish savoury oak. "Lots going on here", was Tony's first remark as he nosed the Riedel. Jamie's "Ahhh .... Bordeaux!", was also a good start (the wine had been decantered sometime before and obviously masked). From the outset, we were all surprised and most impressed by this wines' enormity and youthfulness, particularly for the vintage. If anything, the palate has quite a way to go to reach maturity. Again, fantastic quality of savoury fruit and oak, more of the brooding mineral/briar/olive character, of full body, excellent delineation, robust, firm tannins and great length. Over the next hour or two we sniffed, swirled and sipped our way through this Outstanding bottle of St. Julien until there was no more. My best sip was the last. Drink 2011-2025.

Otto, I reckon you'd like this one too, although it's at the other end of the spectrum to the '85 Canon.
Last edited by David Lole on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: Ch. Leoville-Las-Cases (St. Julien) 1985

by Jenise » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:08 am

David, you just described why LLC is one of my favorite Bordeauxs. Sounds like the 85 is faring especially well for the vintage.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:43 pm

David Lole wrote:
Otto, I reckon you'd like this one too, although it's at the other end of the spectrum to the '85 Canon.

On the basis of the all too few LLCs, I would say also that yes I would like it. It may be of a different style to Canon but that's only natural as they are in different appellations - but both make well structured, savoury, classic Claret. Thanks again for an excellent note! But you are making me very jealous drinking all this aged stuff: I just drank my last mature wine with a friend and am now stuck with only youthful stuff.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:55 pm

If Australia ever offers/justifies a work-related excuse to visit, I'd be more than happy to put you up for a few days and we can discuss your anxiety for aged wine (over a bottle or three, of course)! :wink: :lol:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:54 pm

David Lole wrote:If Australia ever offers/justifies a work-related excuse to visit, I'd be more than happy to put you up for a few days and we can discuss your anxiety for aged wine (over a bottle or three, of course)! :wink: :lol:

Ok! I'll make sure I'll drop by some day ;)

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.