The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Any fans of dry Furmint?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Any fans of dry Furmint?

by Paul B. » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:07 am

I was just browsing Vintages' latest release and noted this interesting Hungarian offering:

DISZNÓKÖ TOKAJI DRY FURMINT 2004

Tasting Note: While Furmint is the grape used for Tokaji's classic sweet wines, it can also make flavourful, food-friendly dry wines, such as this. The aromas suggest binned apple, clover honey and a hint of peach. On the palate, it shows intense flavours balanced by a lively crispness. Enjoy with chicken in a mushroom cream sauce, lobster or pan-seared scallops. (VINTAGES panel, Aug. 2005) 681544 (D) 750 mL $12.95

I have to admit that it sounds interesting and I will certainly buy some to try. Anyone have any thoughts on the grape being used to make this style of wine?
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Any fans of dry Furmint?

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:18 am

My experience of dry Furmint is limited, Paul, but my instinct based on a few tastings is that it's typically "Chateau Cash Flow," drinkable but neutral dry white wine without much of a "wow!" factor.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:32 am

I used to like one produced under the name Oremus. But I haven't had it in a while.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Not A Big Fan...

by TomHill » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:06 pm

I've had maybe 5-6 over the few yrs I've been tasting wines. They're not highly thrilling, but somewhat interesting. They remind me more of Italian Vermentino (Rolle) than anything, w/ a bit of a steely/tinny/metallic edge. LimmerickLaneWnry in SantaRosa alsm makes the only domestic one I know of. Not all that thrilling either. They need to ferment it up to 16%alc and hit it w/ a $hit-load of oak if'n they're going to get anybody's attention.
Tom
no avatar
User

SFJoe

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:54 pm

by SFJoe » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:14 pm

Heidi Schröck's Furmint is quite delicious.

I have been told that the Altesse of the Bugey is the same grape as Furmint, and I've very much enjoyed Franck Peillot's versions of that.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

Thanks everyone

by Paul B. » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:44 pm

Thank you everyone for your feedback. As usual, the experiences are as diverse as reality itself! :)
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:03 pm

Hi Paul

To echo Joe, I recently tried Heidi Schrock's 2004 Furmint and it was close to a wow wine for me.

Here is my recent TN :

2004 Heidi Schrock Furmint - I was very impressed with this wine. Aromatic with quince, wool, flowers, and minerals and a great weight and texture like heavy cream in the mouth. Dry, with good balancing acidity and longish spicy finish. The primary fruit and freshness balanced against the weight of the wine made this interesting. Does anyone age these? It was my first experience with dry furmint but I guess this would age beautifully.

It is a Terry Theise/Skurnik import in the US and I found it for ~$22. I went back for 3 more bottles and plan to cellar some if I have the willpower to keep my hands off it. I would recommend it without reservation.

Best,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

Thanks Marc

by Paul B. » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:24 pm

Marc, that is really good to hear. Thanks for adding your experience - much appreciated.