The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: QPR winner- Hofer GV

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: QPR winner- Hofer GV

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 am

When it comes to real cheapies (under $ 8 ), I find it really hard to find a white I'd buy again (other than an occasional Vinho Verde, but that's not exactly versatile). With reds I stock things like Borsao or Iche Heretiques, wines I like and that Betsy knows she can open for cooking with impunity, but since the dollar weakened I've had to raise the ceiling for "house whites" to $10 and above as the Pepiere Muscadet and CRB Touraine SB have gotten more expensive. But just in time for summer I've found a $6.75 white winner. Well, actually it's $9, but that's for a liter bottle.

The wine is the 2005 H.u.M Hofer Gruner Veltliner. Odd-looking bottle, but nice tasting wine. Nose of ripe apples with a little lentil and white pepper, smooth texture and nice finish for an inexpensive wine. Just a slight hint of off-dryness, but enough acidity to offset; some chalk and talc on the finish. Pleasant, long, and interesting. A B, but an A for value.

Has a crown-cap, so be sure you have a stopper of some sort. Very food -friendly- matched well with grilled pork chops & artichoke/pepper pasta last night, I had a half-glass with grilled chicken this evening, and am sipping some now after returning from city with some chevre and salami.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
Last edited by Dale Williams on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: QPR winner- Hofer GV

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:17 am

Thanks for hte note. I'm glad to hear the 2005 has hit the USA. The 2003 and 2004 were both great, so I was looking forward to this arrival.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: TN: QPR winner- Hofer GV

by Marc D » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:12 am

A bottle of this last summer ( well the 04 vintage) held up pretty well for about 4 days in the fridge. I thought the 04 was pretty dry and sharply acidic, very thirst quenching during the hot weather. Haven't seen the 2005 yet. I kind of like the one liter format, especially when the wine doesn't die after being open for 24 hours. Thanks for the TN.
Marc Davis