Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sauteeing...?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Sauteeing...?

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:39 pm

Whenever I see a recipe I'd like to try...more time than not it mentions sauteeing / browning / softening onions, carrots, celery or whatever...for 4-7 minutes.

Over what? A blowtorch? It takes me a lot longer than that to brown onions...for instance, not to metion softening chopped carrots. Or am I just not using enough fire? We've got a large burner on the new stove. And pretty much use it exclusively...but still? 2 cups of onions in 5 minutes??

Richard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: Sauteeing...?

by Howard » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:00 pm

Sometimes I like to just soften and release juices - that takes about 3-5 minutes. If I'm going to get some color in em, that takes longer.
Howard
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:35 pm

One of the finest chefs I've ever known told me that the three most common faults with home cooking are not enough fat, not enough salt, and not enough heat. Don't be afraid to use your stove routinely at the max.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:34 pm

We nuke our onions in a little EVOO. Carrots are not a problem with a quick saute' because we usually include them in some kind of stew finished on stovetop, oven, or crockpot.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:29 am

OK - I'll bite, what is an EVOO? I either don't know or haven't had enough coffee this AM - either way I'll learn something.
JP
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:34 am

It grows on trees. And the first pressing is Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:18 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:One of the finest chefs I've ever known told me that the three most common faults with home cooking are not enough fat, not enough salt, and not enough heat. Don't be afraid to use your stove routinely at the max.

I'm with you on two out of three. My beginning line cooks/students always used too much fat (afraid of burning a saute.) Of course that screws up the ratio on a la minute sauces. Heat is the biggest fear among novice cooks.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:38 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:One of the finest chefs I've ever known told me that the three most common faults with home cooking are not enough fat, not enough salt, and not enough heat. Don't be afraid to use your stove routinely at the max.

+1 I also think that many home cooks fall into the pit of not preheating the fat. If you want to get a good sautee you have to get the oil nice and hot.

rwj
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:04 am

Robert J. wrote:

+1 I also think that many home cooks fall into the pit of not preheating the fat. If you want to get a good sautee you have to get the oil nice and hot.

rwj

And perhaps, not preheating the pan enough. The cast iron and heavy bottomed copper or aluminum core pans take quite some time to heat completely through. Over-crowding and/or adding a lot of cool items to a lighter weight pan will cause it cool off very quickly, also.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:18 pm

Yeah, I think getting the pan screaming hot is more important than the oil. Generally, I add the fat immediately before the stuff I'm sauteeing, and by and large I don't have sticking problems.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:55 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Generally, I add the fat immediately before the stuff I'm sauteeing, and by and large I don't have sticking problems.

Words from Jeff Smith, that I've never forgotten:
Hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick.
For some reason, that aways stayed with me, even after I found out he enjoyed an "alternative lifestyle."
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Well, geez, John, so do you.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:20 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:Generally, I add the fat immediately before the stuff I'm sauteeing, and by and large I don't have sticking problems.

Words from Jeff Smith, that I've never forgotten:
Hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick.
For some reason, that aways stayed with me, even after I found out he enjoyed an "alternative lifestyle."

Well, I think Smith was a better chaplain than he was a cook.

And this happens to be one that sticks in my craw. And I have seen chefs countless times on television over the years heat their pan before adding any fat. I think it is a formula for ruining a pan. Over time the pan, even a thick one, will develop "hot spots" and will not cook evenly. I never heat a pan before I add oil. I've *never* had food "stick." It is simply unacceptable.
Last edited by ChefCarey on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Well, geez, John, so do you.

Yes, but mine doesn't involve young boys. :shock:
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:20 pm

ChefCarey wrote:
Well, I think Smith was a better chaplain than he was a cook.

And this happenes to be one that sticks in my craw. And I have seen chefs countless times on television over the years heat their pan before adding any fat. I think it is a formula for ruining a pan. Over time the pan, even a thick one, will develop "hot spots" and will not cook evenly. I never heat a pan before I add oil. I've *never* had food "stick." It is simply unacceptable.

Really? I've never noticed that, but I've not done any scientific experiments, either.
I don't mind it when chefs ruin pans, because then they buy new ones - sometimes, from me! :wink:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:58 pm

I haven't had that happen yet (6 years on this set of All Clad), but I'll take your advice.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:56 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I haven't had that happen yet (6 years on this set of All Clad), but I'll take your advice.

I have All-Clad pans that I've cooked in for 25 years. No problems yet.