The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Please show your charitable, non-profit support now

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Please show your charitable, non-profit support now

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:26 am

ForumAdmin wrote:This isn't just about threading, ladies and germs. It's about giving

Just to re-clarify, although everyone probably already knows this, we are NOT collecting money to go into the developers' pockets (although they would deserve it). This is a "pay it forward" deal, with donations going only to quality charitable beneficiaries of your choice.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Please show your support now

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:34 am

Randy, I clicked on the URL you list in your post, and am taken to a Just Give page, where I am told that my browser is rejecting cookies. I have Firefox privacy set to allow sites to set cookies. I also put JustGive.org into a list of exceptions to ALLOW. and I am still get this notification. Is it possibe for me to give any other way. Perhaps by check. I won't disable my security software to do so, as much as I want to donate. I have looked at privacy in my ZoneAlarm Pro and just give is not in the list there, if it were I would check to allow it to set session cookies. Please advise.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:43 am

I just looked again at ZoneALarm and just give is there and it is set to allow session cookies, and still I get the notice that my browser is not accepting cookies. I'll keep trying.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks for the help Randy, I am now able to get into the justgive. I allowed it persistent and third party cookies permission. I am not an IT professional in any way Randy, but It makes me cringe when a web page wants that much control of my computer. I really see no reason for either persistent or third party cookies ever, but as I say, I am not an IT professional. Thanks again.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

by Bob Cohen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:30 am

Bob, I had difficulty (using Firefox and ZoneAlarm) to get in via the second URL. I got the same error message you mentioned. But I got in fine to the main URL at that site and then did the search for the particular list of charities (without changing any security settings at my end). That worked fine.

I know you've since taken care of things in another way, but I thought I'd post this for others who might have the same problem.
--Bob
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:36 pm

Just a small question o ForumAdminstrator: must a donation be given through this system or can I give a small donation to a group working from Finland which takes insulin to Palestinian children in need and say that it was from the ForumAdministrator?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:23 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Just a small question o ForumAdminstrator: must a donation be given through this system or can I give a small donation to a group working from Finland which takes insulin to Palestinian children in need and say that it was from the ForumAdministrator?

Almost! The cause is fine, Otto, and the method is okay ... but please make the donation in your own name, then let the ForumAdministrator (and me) know that you did it. And thanks for supporting this. It's lots more fun to see the money go into a world of worthy causes than to have the ForumAdministrator get it. He would just waste it on cheap wine ...
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:44 pm

Thanks Bob, your message proves the old adage of "there is more than one way ro skin a cat" But I wonder who wants to skin a cat? :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:He would just waste it on cheap wine ...

But wouldn't that be cheap french wine? 8)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:41 am

Bob, thanks for making that donation. I made one, too, the Books for Africa choice. A charity I've not seen before but a concept I wholeheartedly support. Having options like that made it very easy to give.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:42 pm

I just made a donation. Do they send a receipt or do any of you "behind the scenes" forum types get a notification of a donation?
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

What a great idea!

by wnissen » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:57 pm

It makes a lot of sense to reward our hard-working volunteers by making a donation ourselves. I gave to Doctors Without Borders, an exemplary charity (and the doctors donate their time, making your gift go even further). Thanks to everyone who has worked on the good 'ol WLDG.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: What a great idea!

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:50 pm

wnissen wrote:It makes a lot of sense to reward our hard-working volunteers by making a donation ourselves. I gave to Doctors Without Borders, an exemplary charity (and the doctors donate their time, making your gift go even further). Thanks to everyone who has worked on the good 'ol WLDG.

Walt

That's where mine went as well. We already give to DWB, but they really are a first-rate group. It was easy to add some more, both for them and for the work that's gone into this site!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

For all my griping I'm in

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:34 pm

I ended up scattering mine all over the place, $5 here, $10 there...

Modern composers??? :? :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:19 pm

Am I correct that they automatically know the donation comes from this site? I don't think I entered it anywhere on the donation form.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:55 pm

Randy gets e-mails when donations are made from his list of charities.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:34 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:Am I correct that they automatically know the donation comes from this site? I don't think I entered it anywhere on the donation form.

What David said, Diane ... assuming that you used the "Randolph R" list on the JustGive.org site, then Randy receives a notice when there's a donation. (Although whether he sees the amount is your option.)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:26 pm

Jenise, I think you meant your reply to be to Bob Cohen as I had not at the time made a contributation. I did that today to my local Humane Shelter. Robin has been made aware, and I have a receipt available if anyone wishes to see it.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:20 pm

Randy, since I don't do anything financial online I didn't use your JustGive url. I would like to send you a copy of my receipt so that you know that I did give and am not prevaricating. please PM me with your email address.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

One last call ...

by Robin Garr » Thu May 11, 2006 3:18 pm

I'd like to thank everyone who DID support this program. I would have liked it if we could have had a little more of a community outpouring, but hey. Maybe in a while we'll do another similar community fund-raiser just for fun and the goodness of it, but if anyone who has not yet responded would like to throw in a last helping hand for any of the groups on this list, please feel free.