Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What kind of duck is at the Asian market?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

What kind of duck is at the Asian market?

by Eden B. » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:53 am

It's finally FREEZING here in NJ, and I'm ready for long, slow cooking! Am thinking either duck legs braised in red wine or confit... I know there are different types of duck that are better for these sorts of things - Muscovy vs Moulard vs Pekin/Long Island... and while I can order from D'Artagnan and pay and arm and a leg, I have some Asian markets nearby with duck at much better prices -- if only I could figure out what type of duck they offer! Hard enough to get them to understand the word "duck" much less find out what type it is. Does anyone know, please?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What kind of duck is at the Asian market?

by Jenise » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Eden, if things on the east coast are the same as at west coast Asian markets, those will be Peking ducks. Wouldn't be a Moulard at any rate, Moulards are the donkeys of the duck world--the sterile, I think, offspring of a Peking and and a Muscovy raised primarily for foie gras.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:45 pm

Mmmmm duck braised in red wine...mmmmm

Details? Recipe?

:D
Howard
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:57 pm

Well, the Pekin breed gets that name because that particular breed of domesticated Mallard is the raw material for the famous Peking Duck. Muscovy is, I'm pretty sure, a different duck species, whereas Long Island is another domesticated Mallard breed.

I suspect that most Chinese markets offer one of the domesticated Mallard breeds. But I can't be sure. I usually consider myself fortunate if I can identify the animal of origin and piece of anatomy of meat in an oriental market. :D

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

by Eden B. » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:13 am

Thanks, Jenise. That's what I suspected. I am considering trying them instead of the uber-expensive, special-ordered ones. I'm hoping that by going with *3 days* (on and off, of course) of braising in red wine, the Pekin should be fine. (A Paula Wolfert recipe, Howard - I can post, if you like.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:17 am

Eden, I've used those a zillion times for braising (and confitting), and they work perfectly. You'll be very happy with the results. We're going to use them again in a few weeks to make a Tuscan dish of duck legs braised in red wine with sage and oil cured black olives for our Los Angeles wine group.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

by Eden B. » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:30 am

Oh, my! Haven't even made my duck, but I'm drooling over yours! Any chance at convincing you to post the recipe?

(BTW, thanks for the feedback/encouragement on going with the Pekin!)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:40 am

Eden, would be happy to share--I'll get it from my cooking partner and post it in a couple hours. Doesn't that sound good, though? Duck braised in red wine is a very traditional Tuscan duck dish, but the recipe Annabelle found sounds like it takes the whole idea to another level.

Oh, and speaking of duck, how wonderful does rare duck breast served with a quick reduction of fresh grapefruit and oranges sound? There is such a recipe in the Italian answer to Joy of Cooking, The Silver Spoon, and I've just GOT to make it.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:58 pm

Eden,
I'd love to see your recipe if you get a chance to post it. I like Paula Wolferts recipes.
Howard