The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bodegas Riojanas Monte Real Gran Reserva 1981

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Bodegas Riojanas Monte Real Gran Reserva 1981

by Saina » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:16 pm

On occasion I feel like drinking a wine with fruit in it. That is a rare occasion ;), but today was one. For a late lunch or early dinner (is that a dunch or a linner?) we made a chunk of beef covered in herbs in the oven. It was quite the perfect match for this old Rioja. Always a good sign: a magnum would have been needed for the two of us finished the bottle off too quickly.

• 1981 Bodegas Riojanas Rioja Monte Real Gran Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (4/17/2006)
    Lightish, fully mature red. No brown. The nose is quite lovely. Open and sweet with fully integrated oak, spiciness, a bit of figs and that lovely expressive, savoury, citrussy note which lends old Riojas their unique stamp - the closest I can come to defining it is kumquat. The palate is juicy and sweet with everything fully integrated to everything else. Fine acidity and lively fruit makes me think that this will last well, though fully mature now. Very long aftertaste. A touch simple, but quite what I seek in an old Rioja.

Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: TN: Bodegas Riojanas Monte Real Gran Reserva 1981

by James Roscoe » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:23 pm

I think the British call it "Tea". and then they eat another meal! Good notes. One of these days I'll actually get one of those old Riojas you and Joe P. among others, seem to miss so much.
Cheers!
James