The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

On rustic red wine - sometimes, it's the only choice

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

On rustic red wine - sometimes, it's the only choice

by John Tomasso » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:44 pm

Hi everyone, long time, no see. I've missed you all quite a bit.

I kind of dropped off the other forum, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was, I didn't really get along with the new software. More importantly, though, I have been on the road a bit, traveling every few weeks to NY to help care for my Mom, who is terminally ill. Both my parents are 83, and they've had great lives, but it is very tough to watch. Needless to say, it's been difficult for my family, but rewarding as well. In addition to taking care of my mother, my father requires some tending to, though he wouldn't ever admit it. Trying to keep my work together, and at the same time do this important work, is time consuming, leaving little time for posting. I've posted a bit here and there on some other channels, but not much really. And I miss it, too.
Which gets me to my subject line. Citra Montepulciano di Abruzzo. It's all my dad will drink. We drink it out of water tumblers with our dinner, and at mid afternoon to chase the chill from our bones. It's not great wine, in fact, it's barely even good wine, but I'm growing to like it more and more. I've tried to turn him on to some of the good stuff, but he just doesn't like it - it's either too "strong" or too this or that. He loves his Citra, though. Over glasses we've discussed what will become of the family when Mom is gone, how fortunate we've been, old times, you name it. It goes down easy during those conversations, and I hardly notice the lack of concentration, or the rough edges or the clipped finish. Doesn't seem to matter, anyway. It's okay stuff, and I think I'll keep a few bottles around the house from now on, just for the heck of it.

I really like the looks of this software, and hope it works out. I'd certainly be inclined to hang out here, once I get my life back. I'm quite familiar with this format, as it is pretty widely used out there.
I look forward to talking about wine and food with you all once again.

JT
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Pre-thread Message

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:06 pm

Hi John, It is good to see you posting again.

Nothing wrong with a rustic italian red. I was weened by my Papa on Carlo Rossi from the gallon jug and sipped out of grape jelly jars. I stilll get some from time to time for old-times sake. Damn it's horrid! :D

Best wishes for you and your family.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: On rustic red wine - sometimes, it's the only choice

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:10 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Hi everyone, long time, no see. I've missed you all quite a bit.

John, it's great to see YOU back, and thanks for a lovely post, just sentimental enough without mellerdrammer. ;-) Seriously, well-done ... I'll be posting more about this forum, its relationship to the WLC on Netscape and what we're doing here very shortly, but to make a long story short, we're hoping to rebuild the WLDG at its best ... takes some doing, but I think as a group we're up to it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Pre-thread Message

by Bill Spohn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:38 pm

John, this software is MUCH better than the old one.

Very glad to be home again (now we need to integrate the old notes....I know, quit complaining)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Pre-thread Message

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:18 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:integrate the old notes....

This is easy for me to say, since I'm not a serious programmer, but the good news is that the old WLDG notes and this forum's notes all reside on the same database in the same server. There ought to be a reasonable way to make that happen, eventually.

I know, quit complaining)

That, too. :twisted:
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Pre-thread Message

by wnissen » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:44 pm

John,

Welcome back, and thank you for the touching post. It's always good to have a reminder that there are more important things in life than points. My best to you and your parents.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

I agree with that spirit!

by Paul B. » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 am

John, good to see you back.

I agree that sometimes a simple wine just hits the spot - in more ways than simply the gustatory. I have many humble wines that I greatly enjoy that are solid and well made and satisfying. In fact, many of my best wine-related moments had to do with inexpensive but well made table wines.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Pre-thread Message

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi John. Thank you for sharing some of the major life changing events happening to you and your family - it sure is very touching. How wonderful that you have been able to bond with your dad over a glass of wine? That is quite wonderful. You found a common ground. Have you thought that the varietal might be rough, too? I find many Abbruzzi wines on the inkier side.

Our thoughts are with you as you go through this period.
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

Old folks drinking wine

by Steve Kirsch » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:18 pm

John, it made me very happy that my mother was able to drink a glass or so of wine nearly to the end of her life at age 87. It was awful wine (cheap chardonnay), and she needed a visitor to remove the cork from the bottle, but it was a small pleasure she was able to enjoy, even though it was humble stuff. A local merchant would even deliver the stuff to her, and wouldn't take a nickel for his trouble. There is sweetness all around us.

Good for your dad!
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Hi John !

by Bill Spencer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:26 pm

%^)

Sorry to hear about your Mom ... I lost my Dad a little over a year ago - he was just shy of 82 - so I share your distress ... and I smiled while reading about you and your Dad drinking wine ... my Dad was a lover of any kind of merlot that came in a 1.5 liter bottle with a cork you could open with your fingers ... and, like you, we always shared a glass or two out of cut jelly glasses ...

Also thought of you as we drove up and back to Cayucos/Paso this last weekend as we twice passed the ol' Split Pea Soup Anderson place ... Wayne's health hasn't been the greatest lately so we are probably looking to visit them in Solvang during vacation this Summer instead of them driving to Morro Bay ... would love to raise a glass or two with you if we're around there ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Hi John !

by John Tomasso » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:35 am

Bill Spencer wrote:%^)

Also thought of you as we drove up and back to Cayucos/Paso this last weekend as we twice passed the ol' Split Pea Soup Anderson place ... Wayne's health hasn't been the greatest lately so we are probably looking to visit them in Solvang during vacation this Summer instead of them driving to Morro Bay ... would love to raise a glass or two with you if we're around there ...

Clink !

%^)

Thanks for your kind words, Bill. I'd heard a few weeks ago about Wayne's ill health....sorry to hear that.

I would absolutely love to meet you over a grilled tri tip and some local grog when you're in the neighborhood - don't hesitate to give a shout.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Re: Hi John !

by Bill Spencer » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:46 am

John Tomasso wrote:I would absolutely love to meet you over a grilled tri tip and some local grog when you're in the neighborhood - don't hesitate to give a shout.

%^)

I've had the same desire for years, too, John ... we're not gettin' any younger and just need to say, "we're gonna do it !" Will give you a shout and set something up as we get closer ... would LOVE to put a face to the type ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html