The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Chateau Paradis Casseuil Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2003 Chateau Paradis Casseuil Bordeaux

by Paul B. » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:14 pm

This is an Appellation Bordeaux Contrôlée produced by Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite).

13% alc. Clear dark garnet colour. Tight nose of leather and spice with barely perceptible hints of shoe polish; not much fruit. Serving this a bit later than the Daumas Gassac, we initially thought it to be thin by comparison - but it wasn't; it was just different. Certainly this was a more austere wine with loads of grip and tightly-woven acidity around a spicy/leathery core.

It wouldn't be past me to entertain the possibility that it was shut down. Having said that, I found it completely drinkable and a welcome change in style from all the smooth and easy reds that make up the unfortunate modern-day minefield around which admirers of vinous austerity must carefully navigate.

Personally, I have no previous experience with this bottling and so I don't quite know what this wine is capable of. But it showed well here, and its admirable structure makes me think that you could easily lay it down ten years at least.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca