The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Can someone give me cliff notes on the new board?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Can someone give me cliff notes on the new board?

by wrcstl » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:28 pm

OK, I am here but can someone tell me what the advantages are in simple terms over the Netscape forum. My biggest nit is the threading but guess I can put up with that. What are the things that are better than netscape. I am not smart enough to notice them without a lot of work, used to be smart enough, Mad Cow desease, you know.
Walt
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Can someone give me cliff notes on the new board?

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:42 pm

Walt, the short answer is, "It beats the hell out of me." I never did see what was so awful about the Netscape forum system, but a hell of a lot of people did, so as noted in my long nosebleed in another thread, I said, "OK, gang, you want it, you've got it." :oops:

Seriously? This forum is much, much faster. It's much less ornamented, and by my decision it will carry no advertising at all. The messages lists show both the author of the most recent reply and the name of the original poster, and that was a HUGE deal-breaker on the old forum for a lot of people. There's no difficulty in choosing a login name, and the system makes it a whale of a lot easier to log in (and, if you wish, to stay logged in).

I'm sure there are other points, but that's a big one that occurs to me.

How about it, folks? Tell Walt what else you prefer about this forum.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Some good points

by wrcstl » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:37 pm

Robin,
My post was rather lame but am in the middle of a major launch of a new web page and didn't have time to look around. You are correct about the ornamenting. I think that was a major drawback and after thinking about it was proabably what turned me off most because if you hit the wrong button you ended up somewhere else and could not easily get back. Don't know aout the speed but if it is faster that has to be a plus. Guess I need to snoop around a little bit more and ask some intelligent questions. If we can get rid of all the drawbacks except threading I think many, myself included, will be more active. Now figure out how to get Coad back, never was a fan of his hair or shirts but did like his wife and loved reading his TNs.
Walt
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

This software vs. Netscape

by Paul Winalski » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:45 pm

For me there are several advantages:

1) Seeing the original poster. For me, losing that wasn't a deal-breaker with the Netscape SW, but I missed it.

2) The speed. Maybe it's just my own connectivity, but this forum seems much faster.

3) The software. Something about the Netscape message composition interface was giving my browser at work (Firefox on Windows 2000 Advanced Server) fits. Halfway through entering a message, the browser would go into an infinite loop, and I'd have to crash and restart it. After that, most of the time I wouldn't have the ambition to re-type my message.

-Paul W.