The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Random Friday thoughts 8-8-2014

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Random Friday thoughts 8-8-2014

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:04 am

You thought the cork rate was getting better? Wes Hagen did a blog post this past week where he claimed a 25%+ rate of some level of taint! To show my support of his statement I immediately opened a corked Mount Eden Chardonnay. Then two days ago I opened a corked von Winning dry Riesling.

Never thought I would drink Grenache in the summer, but this has been an unusual summer with lots of very pleasant nights. I've drank more red wine this summer than I can ever remember. Of course it turns out that at least where I live, July was about 1 degree above the long term average temperatures. Just goes to show what we've gotten used to.

Pinon sparklers for about $22. Well that was a no-brainer.

Does anyone really kick back with a beer to watch the Little League World Series? It's not just one one ESPN network, but two!

Now that the Rudi K. saga is essentially "over" we can go back to drinking all those fabulous wines again! DRC anyone? :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Random Friday thoughts 8-8-2014

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:46 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Does anyone really kick back with a beer to watch the Little League World Series? It's not just one one ESPN network, but two!

I can barely stand watching college sports, let alone high school. I'm all for supporting kids' athletic pursuits, physical fitness, competition, group dynamics, etc, but I don't think the obsession with organized sports for kids is doing the nation any favors.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: ESPN

¿qué?

You actually have time to watch TV?!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:51 pm

It's called multi-tasking Mark.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Mark S wrote:You actually have time to watch TV?!

I don't watch a lot of tv myself (don't own a television and watch the occasional show in the internet), but I'm not surprised to hear about others. Someone must be watching the stuff!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Judicious use of the DVR allows for watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Beyond that it is now football season. Football of the NFL variety is a shared religion in our house.

Oh, and Laura likes Project Runway. I indulge her. Again by DVR, so zero commercials.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Our youngest daughter was a Fashion and Design major in college so Project Runway has been a staple in our house for a long time..I will confess to watching ESPN a fair amount of time, ditto college and NFL football and the Tour de France catches my eye for 3 weeks every year..One of the perks of working from home
Jon