The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hangin' @ Saddleback w/ Lars...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Hangin' @ Saddleback w/ Lars...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Thurs (7/24) Tasting w/ Lars
Whilst up in the NapaVlly, I was staying w/ MollyHill/SequoiaGrove winemaker and LarsBjorkman/Saddleback
winemaker. Molly is Susan's neice and they were visiting us in SantaFe a few weeks earlier. Whilst there in
SantaFe, Lars noted my interest in some of the obscure Italian varieties and mentioned that at Saddleback
they are making some unusual varietals, mostly for their wine club members and tasting room sales and
suggested I might like to try them. How could I not try them??
Lars mentioned that some of the Italian varieties come from a Gallo experimental vnyd on the north edge
of the RRV. I'd not heard of that vnyd and could find no information of it on the Web. I do know that Gallo
uses Teroldego in their ApothicRed blend.
Got down to the OakvilleCrossRoad a bit early, so drop into the SilverOak tasting room. NateWeiss,
formerly of AnticaWnry, is their new winemaker and I asked if he was available, but the tasting room attendant
was unable to track him down. The tasting room staff seemed rather disinterested w/ my presence there and,
not being a big Cabernet fan, I decided to beat a hasty retreat. The tasting room was very/very glitzy and just
didn't give off much in the way of warm/fuzzy feelings. Too rich for my plebian blood.
Headed down MoneyLane and pulled into the Saddleback wnry. NilsVenge & I go waaay back, to the early days of ZAP.
He recognized me, so I (re-) introduced myself and recounted our background. After a short walk-around to track down
Lars, we retreated to the tasting room. The wnry was pretty cramped and I had no idea how small it actually was..
this being my first visit there. With Lars cracking the btls, we tried:
1. Saddleback Vermentino LasBrisasVnyd/Carneros/Napa (14.2%; frmtd in old oak barrels) 2012: Some pencilly/
oak quite spicy/floral/carnations Vermentino nose; bit soft/lush/ripe strong floral/Vermentino/carnations some
pencilly/oak flavor; reminds me some of the Antinori Bolgheri Vermentino.
in the style of Ligurian Vermentino.
6. Grow Chard RuhlVnyd/MtVeeder (14.4%) 2013: Ripe melony/pear/Chard somewhat floral/perfumed nose w/ very
light oak; fairly rich/lush tart/balanced strong pear/Chard/melony very light pencilly/oak slight earthy/chalky
flavor; quite a lovely/perfumed/aromatic Chard.
Sangio aromatics but a pretty hard/structured/rugged wine.
as ripe.
modest/hard/angular tannins; not to far from the Foradori basic Teroldego but a bit more oak; quite an
interesting red.
character.
rather big/rugged red.
brightness than usual from Lodi Zin; lots of rich/ripe/boysenberry/Zin fruit w/ light Lodi terroir.
apricotty slight earthy finish w/ a very long/lingering aftertaste; dominated by intense botrytis/apricotty
character; pretty reasonable facsimile of Sauternes and very fairly priced at $45/500ml; lovely dessert wine.
perfumed/aromatic Aleatico; beautiful stuff if rather big for a rose.
The Grow is the label that Molly & Lars use for the tiny amounts of Chard they make there at Saddleback.
(http://www.GrowWines.com) I've had earlier vintages of their Grow and this one seemed the best one yet w/ reigned in
oak and stringer floral aromatics.
The AleaticoRose is my note from the btl that Molly brought to the RibollaFest event. It's a pretty big
wine for a rose but the aromatics are amazing. This is the kind of wine they should be making all over Calif.
map was not that accurate and what they thought was "Refosco" turned out to be, in fact, by DNA, Mondeuse.
So a lot (if not all) the "Refosco" planted in Calif turned out to be Savoie's Mondeuse. Which is actually not
a bad thing. The only true Refosco dal PeduncolaRosso planting I know of is on SteveMatthiasson's Napa vnyd.
I tasted his Refosco at RibollaFest and was quite impressed with it. Lots of high-toned aromatics that
speaks of Friuli Refosco and some of DryCreek Zin. Lars' Saddleback Refosco from Gallo's DelRio vnyd in
upper RRV has some herbal notes that suggests, to me, that it is actually Mondeuse...which is not a bad thing.
Though I could be wrong...it is not as strongly herbal as the Lagier-Meredith Mondeuse nor DarrelCorti's
Mondeuse from the last crop of "Refosco" of the Antinori's AtlasPeak vnyd.
Tom
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: WTN: Hangin' @ Saddleback w/ Lars...(long/boring)

by Victorwine » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:41 pm

Tom wrote;
Turns out the vnyd map was not that accurate and what they thought was "Refosco" turned out to be, in fact, by DNA, Mondeuse.

Not to knock the researchers, the Foothill Agricultural Experimental Station of Jackson, California was “revisited” 60 years later (after it was abandoned in 1903).

Salute
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup....

by TomHill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Victorwine wrote:Tom wrote;
Turns out the vnyd map was not that accurate and what they thought was "Refosco" turned out to be, in fact, by DNA, Mondeuse.
Not to knock the researchers, the Foothill Agricultural Experimental Station of Jackson, California was “revisited” 60 years later (after it was abandoned in 1903).
Salute

Yup, Victor. A lot of the abandoned plant material was brought back to FPS and propagated..based on that inaccurate map. The family who had
donated the land originally to UC re-acquired the property by default and were worried about some sinister motives by the UC folks when they
wanted to take out some plant material.
Tom
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: WTN: Hangin' @ Saddleback w/ Lars...(long/boring)

by Victorwine » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:07 pm

Tom,
Did the heirs of the original donors of the late 1880’s every “reclaim” the land? Shortly after UC Davis abandoned the site in 1903, the Fantozzi family made a claim for the land and actual made a living working the “farm”. Sometime after a heated court battle between the heirs of the original donors, UC Davis and the Fantozzi family, the Fantozzi family was “burnt out” and “chased” off their court awarded claim, and the vines, plants and fruit trees were abandoned cultivation- wise and the native foothill vegetation reclaimed most of the land.

Salute
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Not Sure...

by TomHill » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:15 am

Victorwine wrote:Tom,
Did the heirs of the original donors of the late 1880’s every “reclaim” the land? Shortly after UC Davis abandoned the site in 1903, the Fantozzi family made a claim for the land and actual made a living working the “farm”. Sometime after a heated court battle between the heirs of the original donors, UC Davis and the Fantozzi family, the Fantozzi family was “burnt out” and “chased” off their court awarded claim, and the vines, plants and fruit trees were abandoned cultivation- wise and the native foothill vegetation reclaimed most of the land.
Salute

I'm not sure of those details, Victor. I just know that whoever owned the land was suspicious of the UCDavis folks reclaiming plant material.
I do know the land was all overgrown.
Tom