The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Considering wine and food pairings for a tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Considering wine and food pairings for a tasting

by JC (NC) » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:23 pm

I'm considering pairing a German Riesling Kabinett with chicken tenders in a teriyaki preparation. Do you think the Riesling would complement or clash with the teriyaki? One of the wines I'm considering is the 2010 Dr. Loosen Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett.

We would probably also have mussels and possibly shrimp with a Sancerre blanc and a Verdicchio; and a Cote du Rhone red and an Italian red with lasagna or manicotti. I might do ratatouille with a French rose' before the red wines. Dessert wines will be a German Spatlese or Auslese with fruit cobbler or fruit pie and the 2011 Alvear Pedro Ximenez for sipping and over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I always have a few cheeses also that people can try with both white and red wines to see what pairings work for them.

The theme is I Give a F.I.G. (French, Italian and German wines) with a Spanish dessert wine added to the mix.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Considering wine and food pairings for a tasting

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:45 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I'm considering pairing a German Riesling Kabinett with chicken tenders in a teriyaki preparation. Do you think the Riesling would complement or clash with the teriyaki?

Depends how strong the teriyaki/soy sauce component is in the final dish. In my view, the darker the sauce/the more prominent the soy flavor, the tougher it will be for a white wine. But since terikayi is essentially sweetened soy sauce, I could see the sweet components playing well with a Kabinett if the soy elements are in the background. (Not sure what else you're doing, but finishing sauce with butter/dairy and maybe citrus might help).
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:04 pm

I could see using some pineapple in the dish or some citrus accents on the chicken (lemon or lime).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:06 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I could see using some pineapple in the dish or some citrus accents on the chicken (lemon or lime).

I would vote for lemon/lime ahead of pineapple, at least as far as the wine matching is concerned.

But I'm sure you have plenty of experience and it will be a great tasting.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm with Rahsaan, you just don't want to be too heavily soya influenced. Make sure to sure light Japanese soy sauce, thin it out wih some mirin (and maybe ponzu). And go heavy on the grated ginger, which is very Riesling friendly.