Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Leftover prime rib

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Leftover prime rib

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:17 pm

My cousin had us over Christmas night for prime rib plus all the trimmings. There is some left over. How does one warm it without destroying the medium rare quality? And how about some ideas of what to do with left over prime rib.

And for any non-responders, please check below:

( ) I don't eat prime rib.

( ) I'm a vegan.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

Re: Leftover prime rib

by MikeH » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:58 pm

When I was a young whippersnapper I worked as busboy, carparker, bartender, waiter, and accountant at a nearby country club. Every major summer Sunday (Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc.) dinner was a buffet including carved prime rib. Without fail, one dinner special on the following Tuesday was Beef Andalusia. I don't know if that is a "defined" entree like beef Wellington. Beef Andalusia was a slice of prime rib; spread some mustard on one side, add a couple of tomato slices on that then a couple of cheese slices on top. Stick that under the broiler to heat and melt the cheese. Or maybe just put it in the steamer.
Last edited by MikeH on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:08 pm

Paul Prudhomme, in his Cajun Prime Rib recipe, suggests cutting portions of it into steaks and turning them into Blackened Steak. I've never tried it with leftover prime rib, but I do like blackened steak.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:25 pm

There is some left over

Here too -- Tawny the wonder mutt got it -- she has Carole's number.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:41 pm

I cannot offer recipes for reheating because there is no way to reheat rare meat such that it tastes like it did originally--it has an off, rotting flavor to it that I can't stomach.

But cold or room temperature prime rib sliced and doused with a fresh rosemary vinaigrette? Or same, rolled in leaves of soft lettuce served as an appetizer? Yum.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:59 pm

Here's what I always do, whether it's leftover homemade prime rib, or from a doggie bag at a restaurant.
I put the piece of meat in the microwave on the lowest setting (defrost) for about two minutes, just to take the chill off. Can also take it out of the fridge ahead of time and let come to room temperature.
Then I heat a cast iron skillet until scortching hot. Sprinkle the skillet with a generous dose of kosher salt and sear the piece of meat quickly and evenly on both sides. Somehow it stays almost the same doneness as the night before. It changes the flavor slightly, but to me it's just as delicious this way.