Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Need help on NYC restaurant

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Need help on NYC restaurant

by wrcstl » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:18 pm

I have cross posted this on the food forum. My daughter's husband is graduating from NY University law school with a masters in tax law. She wants to have a lunch (because it is assumed to be less than a dinner) to celebrate. There will be about 15 people and she would like it to be no more than $75 per. Looking for a memorable event with wine. It would be great if we could bring our own wine as I would spring for that part of the meal. Appreciate any comments from the knowledgable NYC forum people. Thanks in advance.
Walt
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Need help on NYC restaurant

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:27 pm

Walt, BYO is pretty limiting in NYC, where most licensed premises forbid it, or at best permit it only grudgingly. You might get some exceptions from the NYC gang, but if you're willing to bag the BYO requirement, then I'd suggest either of those perennial favorites, Gramercy Tavern or Union Square Cafe.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:55 pm

Walt, I've held and attended a number of luncheon events at the Union League Club on 37th and Park. The food is well prepared, and the club has an old boy kind of ambience -- and some historic stuff like a lock of John Brown's hair. The dining rooms are quite elegant and the pricing seemed reasonable to me.

Check out http://www.unionleagueclub.org/ for info.

Click on the Event Planning Guide button.

It's worth mentioning that I'm no longer a member and have no economic interest in the recco.

Let me know if this doesn't appeal, and I'll give you a few other choices.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:00 pm

First thing that comes to mind is Triomphe in the Iroquois hotel. Private room is good for 12-20, Tends to run $100-110 pp for dinner with good wine service (though we usually bring our own stems), I'd think they'd do lunch for $75 or less. I'll try to think of other places tht are cooperative re BYO
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:16 am

Eleven Madison Park has a $48 and $36 Lunch menu. They also has a same priced prix fixe Brunch on weekends. One of the nicest ambiance for a small group in NYC.

It's a terrific restaurant with Daniel Humm leading the kitchen. Very BYO-friendly at $25 per bottle corkage - well worth it imho.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:50 am

Recommend Les Halles at 411 Park. A great place for all ages. Have been there three or four times, and always found enjoyable. Even been there with Thomas and a couple of other winos.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:33 pm

I do not know where to recommend, but it seems like this is your son-in-law's first test as a tax lawyer. Figure out how to write off this meal as a business expense. Considering his probable tax bracket, he could probably up the per person ante to $100.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:36 am

wrcstl wrote:It would be great if we could bring our own wine as I would spring for that part of the meal.

I'm curious. What kind of wine will you be taking to the event?
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:25 am

Larry Greenly wrote:
wrcstl wrote:It would be great if we could bring our own wine as I would spring for that part of the meal.

I'm curious. What kind of wine will you be taking to the event?

I have been thinking about this and reviewing who is coming to the event. Most are people who know nothing about wine so the really good stuff is a total waste. At $25 corkage, and bringing a more reasonable priced wine it appears buying a value wine off the list is a better approach. Living in St. Louis I just automatically BYO since it is accepted everywhere with $10-15 corkage. My wife and I usually dine alone or with like minded wine friends so the wine brought is more expensive and memorable. Paying $12 corkage in St. Louis and bringing an old Bordeaux makes it difficult to not automatically think BYO. It also makes it almost impossible to order off a wine list. Looked at one of the wine lists that was recommended in NYC and found the '05 Pepiere Muscadet for $29. I paid $10 at CSW in NYC. This just doesn't seem right and further makes me appreciate BYO in St Louis.
Walt
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:37 am

wrcstl wrote:Looked at one of the wine lists that was recommended in NYC and found the '05 Pepiere Muscadet for $29. I paid $10 at CSW in NYC. This just doesn't seem right and further makes me appreciate BYO in St Louis.

Okay, I'm going to play the contrarian here: Why not bring your own steak, and a hot plate? You can buy a sirloin at Kroger's for $6, and the stupid restaurant will charge you $40 for one. That just doesn't seem right ...
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:42 am

wrcstl wrote: At $25 corkage, and bringing a more reasonable priced wine it appears buying a value wine off the list is a better approach.

Yeah, at $25 corkage I was wondering. Maybe the price is negotiable. Or perhaps you can find something in the Balthazar size, which would put the corkage in the $1.50 range. Then there's always box wine (how many glasses per?). :wink:
Last edited by Larry Greenly on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:31 pm

Walt, if wine and corkage is important to the group, would you consider going to New Jersey?

There are some nice restaurants with no corkage fairly close to public transportation.

You might consider Il Trulli, which has an extensive Italian wine list and reasonable prices. Very friendly staff, pretty digs, good rustic Italian food. Makes you smile just to be there. http://www.itrulli.com/

On balance, though, wine doesn't seem as important the celebration -- perhaps a bubbly for the toast and biting the bullet on a decent house wine makes sense.

As others have noted, BYOB is a problem in Manhattan; northern New Jersey is a wine lover's paradise by comparison.