The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Tell me what's wrong with this tasting note

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Tell me what's wrong with this tasting note

by Ryan M » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:28 am

The WTSO offerring, as of this moment, is the 2008 Chumeia Zinfandel Dante Dusi Vineyard. It so happens that I had the 2007 over the holidays, and while it was admittedly reasonably balanced and pleasant for half a glass or so, it was a bit too much for me.

So, what caught my attention here is the winemaker's unabashed praise of spoofyness! Honestly, even Parker doesn't go quite this far . . . .

Winemaker’s Tasting Notes:
Our first release of our new California Zinfandel has already turned into a tasting room favorite since its release in May 2008. This zin is the bruiser of the bunch. Big over ripe fruits, and big alcohol to balance it all off. This style of zin is not often seen in this price point. This zin was inspired by our black label Dante Dusi Zinfandel, which in the past several years has taken on a life of its own. We look for this one to be a great starting point for the others to follow. The 2008 zin offers huge aromas of jammy jammy jam, laced together with notes of vanilla and spice on the palate and finishes with soft tannins and balanced acids.

:shock:
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Tell me what's wrong with this tasting note

by Sam Platt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:44 am

It's amazing how a note that basically says "this stuff sucks" can make the wine sound relatively appealing.

I have been buying some wine from WTSO. I ignore the notes for the most part though I would like to meet Jonathan "I never met a less than 90 point wine" Newman one day. The prices at WTSO are very good and the free delivery is a bonus.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 am

I like WTSO and buy from them occasionally. I pay some attention to the tasting notes, but the "jammy jammy jam" bit was in the bold face description below the name of the wine, so hard not to notice. And yeah, who the heck is this Jonathan H. Newman guy?
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Ryan M wrote:I like WTSO and buy from them occasionally. I pay some attention to the tasting notes, but the "jammy jammy jam" bit was in the bold face description below the name of the wine, so hard not to notice. And yeah, who the heck is this Jonathan H. Newman guy?

Alfred E.'s kid brother?

What, me worry?
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Isn't it a simple fact that there are many more people out there who adore this style of wine than there are of those sickened by it?

If that is so, it makes simple commercial sense to vaunt those jammy characteristics. And it's an honest warning for those who don't like them.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:58 pm

I get the WTSO e-mails, and this one hit the recycle bin in about 2 seconds.

I did recently buy some 2008 Von Hovel Scharzhofberger Kabinett for $15 that has turned out to be a total steal. Wish I had bought a solid case!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Jonathan Newman is the former Chairman of the PLCB and now a "wine consultant",,whatever that means..I tend to ignore any comments attributed to him, and for the most part, I also ignore most wines that he recommends
Jon
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Alfred E.'s kid brother?

Maybe Jonathan could do his reviews in the form of Mad Libs:

“The wine's aroma is of submarine grease with turtle biscuit on entry and a solid bovine wigwam mid-palate…”
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:24 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I did recently buy some 2008 Von Hovel Scharzhofberger Kabinett for $15 that has turned out to be a total steal. Wish I had bought a solid case!

I bought 6 of the same wine from Last Bottle @ $15 each after reading a lot of your TN's on reisling and vowing, after years away from drinking the stuff, that I would like to revisit...the wine was delicious.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:48 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I get the WTSO e-mails, and this one hit the recycle bin in about 2 seconds.

I did recently buy some 2008 Von Hovel Scharzhofberger Kabinett for $15 that has turned out to be a total steal. Wish I had bought a solid case!

On last bottle at $15 again
http://www.lastbottlewines.com/

edited to remove referral credit, don't want anyone to think I'm pimping!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Saw that. Decided to pass. Really wanted to buy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:54 pm

Tim York wrote:Isn't it a simple fact that there are many more people out there who adore this style of wine than there are of those sickened by it?

If that is so, it makes simple commercial sense to vaunt those jammy characteristics. And it's an honest warning for those who don't like them.

THIS. Both points!

I wonder what the shipping to Finland would cost. We should all chip in and buy a case to send to Otto. The radioactive emissions from the head 'splosions would heat Europe next winter, replacing the need for Russian natural gas! :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:04 pm

There's a winery in the Amador area who has co-opted the old Ravenswood boast about "no wimpy wines", whose letterhead says something like, "No wine under 15% alcohol!!!" There is, apparently, a solid market for that kind of thinking.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Jenise wrote:There's a winery in the Amador area who has co-opted the old Ravenswood boast about "no wimpy wines", whose letterhead says something like, "No wine under 15% alcohol!!!" There is, apparently, a solid market for that kind of thinking.

Maybe they are going for the Long Island Iced Tea market?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Jenise wrote:There's a winery in the Amador area who has co-opted the old Ravenswood boast about "no wimpy wines", whose letterhead says something like, "No wine under 15% alcohol!!!" There is, apparently, a solid market for that kind of thinking.

Maybe they are going for the Long Island Iced Tea market?

Wish I'd thought of that reference, I'd have used it! But yeah, that's them! (Btw, a friend in my neighborhood is a member of their club, hence the dubious thrill with which I can confirm that they live up to their motto.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov