Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

That's one way to get a free meal!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

That's one way to get a free meal!

by Jenise » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:16 pm

From Grubstreet:

Small-time London food blogger Paul Turner wanted to review the £150-a-head Michelin-starred Gauthier Soho, so last week he emailed the restaurant: "[I] would love to visit Gauthier Soho soon so I can write a positive review … I was wondering if you would want to feature and arrange a review meal?"

Thing is, Gauthier Soho is a real restaurant that does not serve comped meals, or prearranged "review" meals, and head of marketing James Lewis is tired of being asked. So he tweeted a screenshot of the email, which included Turner's contacts, and that violates Twitter's terms. Lewis's account, along with several others that retweeted him, got suspended. (The karmic blowback against Turner forced him to take his blog, the Hungry Londoner, offline as well.)

Thankfully, this didn't turn into an all-out chef-Twitter bullying war, like the one that London chef Claude Bosi and his peers waged against a blogger who dared to write a blasé review of his two Michelin star restaurant in 2012. Lewis defended himself in the Independent, saying the average Gauthier diner "[has] checked us out in four of five difference places, including newspaper reviews, a smattering of blogs, Google itself, which is now linked to the Zagat Guide, and on Twitter." Of course that means "everything is intertwined," but Lewis doesn't seem daunted...that restaurant personnel accept that rooting out spurious requests and reviews is now just a routine part of their daily workload. "Thankfully, if people are trying to abuse this area," he says, "they can't do it for very long because they will be exposed."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: That's one way to get a free meal!

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:31 am

Who knew Twitter had terms?
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:10 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Who knew Twitter had terms?

*snort*
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:28 pm

I was just flabbergasted (shouldn't have been, in retrospect) at the idea of people overtly offering a positive review in exchange for a free dinner. Wonder how often it worked.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:03 pm

So much for the credibility of Paul Turner.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:16 pm

Jenise wrote:I was just flabbergasted (shouldn't have been, in retrospect) at the idea of people overtly offering a positive review in exchange for a free dinner. Wonder how often it worked.
r

Jenise, Jenise, Jenise. "Pay to Play" in restaurant and wine reviewing is as old as the hills, I fear. Some of RMP's early claim to fame was his insistence that he pay his own way (an insistence that fell by the wayside as the years wore on). And think of all the grumbling over the years about the high ratings for wines that advertise in the Speck. It's no great surprise that some bloggers hope to get in on the act.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Dear Sir Richard,

As a freelance travel writer, I would love to ride your spaceplane so I can write a positive review... :lol: :roll:
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Jim Cassidy wrote:
Dear Sir Richard,

As a freelance travel writer, I would love to ride your spaceplane so I can write a positive review... :lol: :roll:

My brother works for him, I might be able to arrange an introduction. For a price, of course. What ya got? ;)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:15 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Jenise, Jenise, Jenise. "Pay to Play" in restaurant and wine reviewing is as old as the hills, I fear.

I get it--that's the "shouldn't have been" part.
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:10 pm

Jenise said:

For a price, of course. What ya got?

Well, it would evolve into a documentary... Get me a ride on the spaceplane and you're the Executive Producer! 8)
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)