The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bruno Giacosa Tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: Bruno Giacosa Tasting

by Tom Troiano » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:03 am

I attended a tasting of Bruno Giacosa wines last night. The wines came and went pretty fast so the notes aren’t as rigorous as I‘d like. For many of these wines the nose was clearly the highlight.

Non Estate Wines

2008 Spumante Extra Brut
Lots of apples, yeast, flowers and bread dough on the nose. More apples on the palate. Nice acidity.

2012 Roero Arneis
Gorgeous yellow color. Aroma of lemons, apricots and grass, rather light and simple.

2011 Nebbiolo D’Alba Valmaggiore
Beautiful nose of pepper, licorice, spices, strawberry and cranberries. On the palate more strawberry, cranberry and pepper. I liked this wine the best of the non Estate wines.

2010 Barbara D’Alba
Gorgeous nose of Asian spices, pepper, coffee and oak. On the palate some berry fruit, bitterness, spice and wood.

2012 Dolcetto D’Alba
Nose of nutmeg, spices and white pepper. Light refreshing Summer wine.

Estate Wines

2008 Barbaresco
Exotic nose of pepper, mint, bacon and ham. Some tar, mint and pepper on the palate. Somewhat tannic and backward. Needs time. Should be really nice in 5-10 years.

2009 Barberesco Asili
Amazing nose of strawberries, raspberries and Framboise evolved into something herbal and minty over time. Huge tannic backbone. Loved this wine. My second favorite wine of the night and I purchased some.

2009 Barolo Falletto
Nose of Asian spices, licorice, black pepper, raspberries and bacon again. On the palate cherries, tar, licorice and leather.

2007 Barolo Le Rocche Falletto Riserva Red Label
On the nose intense blend of tobacco, strawberries, anise and baked ham. On the palate long, complex, velvety. Huge wow factor. Needs time in the cellar. #1 wine of the night but out of my price range at about $350 per bottle.
Tom T.