Cathy Corison Question

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Cathy Corison Question

Postby Jim Grow » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:18 pm

I am always looking for the first great (in an Alsatian way) Gewurztraminer from North American so when I recently read that Cathy Corison, in addition to Cabernet Sauvignon and Franc, makes a Gewuztraminer I was very curious. Given the high quality of everything else she makes, having not tried them myself(too expensive), I was wondering if anyone out there had tried her Gew. and what they thought about it. What say thee?
Jim Grow
Wine guru

Re: Cathy Corison Question

Postby Diane (Long Island) » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:57 pm

It's been a number of years, but we always bought one at the winery when we visited. If you like Gewürztraminer , I think you would like hers.
Diane
Diane (Long Island)
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lipton » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Yes, she makes a quite delicious dry Gewurztraminer. While my favorites from CA come from the Anderson Valley (Lazy Creek and Navarro), hers is right up there.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Postby Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Definitely a dry and spicy and rich version. Still great acid, of course. Only reason I've not picked up a bottle is because I like her reds so very much.

Sadly, the money for my Corison shipment this month is being channelled into replacing my stolen bicycle, instead! Argh!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile

Postby Jim Grow » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks all for the replies. If I ever encounter her Gew. I'll be sure to buy some.
Jim Grow
Wine guru

Postby JC (NC) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 am

Sorry, Brian about your bicycle. Did it occur where you live or somewhere on a biking excursion?
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:18 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Sorry, Brian about your bicycle. Did it occur where you live or somewhere on a biking excursion?

On a bicycling expedition that was timed to coincide with a wine tasting. In Berkeley. A block from the punk rock club and two blocks from an under-the-underpass homeless encampment. Not that the bicycle was stolen by a homeless person or feral punk rock kid. :? But not a good place to leave a fancy bicycle outside the doorway while tasting at Brock Cellars. Not one of my more brilliant acts of carelessness. :(
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile

Postby Diane (Long Island) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:57 pm

Sorry about your bicycle, Brian, and not to take away from the concern of your misfortune, but how were the wines at Brock? I spend some time in Berkeley each year.
Diane
Diane (Long Island)
Wine guru

Return to The Wine Forum