Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Does Napa cabbage come from Napa Valley?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP: Does Napa cabbage come from Napa Valley?

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:22 am

Napa cabbage and five-spice tofu stir-fry

Does napa cabbage come from the Napa Valley? Probably not, although it’s entirely possible that it has been grown in truck farms in California wine country. It’s more likely that the name (also spelled as “nappa,” although Google prefers the single-p variant) comes from a Japanese word for “leaf vegetable.”

Call it what you like - “Chinese cabbage” is another available moniker, as is Brassica Pekinensis in formal botanical Latin - it’s one of my favorite forms of cabbage, with a crisper texture and sweeter flavor than our standard American cabbage, and to my taste buds at least, a milder, more appealing flavor and texture than the Asian bok choy. Tracing its history in Northern China back some 3,000 years, it’s also popular in Korea, where it’s the mainstay of spicy, delicious kimchi.

Last night, armed with a head of napa and a box of freshly made, organic and GMO-free five-spice flavor tofu, house-made at Louisville’s excellent Heart & Soy restaurant, I fashioned a quick stir-fry.

It came together more quickly than it took the rice to cook: I chopped half of an onion into slivers and smashed, then minced a half-inch chunk of fresh ginger. I used about half of the head of napa cabbage, chopping it into roughly one-inch squares, and made a flavor mix with 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, a dab of tomato paste, a small dash of sambal oelek (or Sriracha “Rooster” sauce), a good grind of black pepper, a dash of Chinese five-spice, and enough water to bring the mix up to about 2/3 cup. I took the five-spice tofu out of the box and cut it into 1/2-inch dice.

With all the prep work done first - stir-frying goes quickly, and you can’t stop to find and chop something that you forgot - I sauteed the onions in a wok in a little coconut oil until they started to brown; then added the minced ginger and a little salt to taste. Then I put in the chopped cabbage and stir-fried just until it started to wilt; reduced the heat to low, added the liquid, stirred to mix, and then stirred in the diced tofu, simmering just until the tofu warmed through.

Served with rice and a simple salad dressed with a light lemon vinaigrette and dabs of Capriole Indiana goat cheese, it made a great match with a crisp white wine, Jean-Marc Brocard 2011 Saint-Bris Sauvignon.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Does Napa cabbage come from Napa Valley?

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:07 pm

It doesn't cost enough to come from the Napa Valley.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Speaking of different names for things, I recall that in England they called this 'Chinese Leaves'.

I too am a big fan. Ever use it raw? Best Cobb Salad in the world is made with napa cabbage instead of lettuce--and by the way my Cobb Salads do not contain meat, but blue cheese, tomatoes, green onions and diced avocado are a must.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Recipe looks nice, Robin. I love napa cabbage. Raw,we like to make a slaw with napa, red peppers, and Asian pear, seasoned with shoyu and sesame oil. We also use napa a lot in stirfries. Last night I did a simple side- sautee napa, finish with ginger and lime juice.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:45 pm

i bet i know where moon pies come from
david creighton
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:54 pm

OK I started out by googling ナッパ なっぱ which is Phonetic Japanese (katakana, hiragana) which mainly gives images of Napa Valley.

Then I went to Wikipedia, it's a complicated etymology. Nappa is a Japanese regional name for Hakusai (where haku means "white") -- that cabbage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napa_cabbage

"Na" in regional Japanese, or "choi" in Chinese is 菜. As in Bok Choi, Miu Choi, etc. In Chinese it means vegetables -- and you can see the indicator for plants in that top thing, the horizontal bar with 2 notches. The second kanji is "ye" in Chinese and "ha" (which can turn into "pa") in Japanese. 葉. Very similar to the first kanji, you can see the plant thing on top, but it's different. So nappa in Japanese is 菜っ葉 -- the hook in between doubles the "p". But the mainstream word for napa cabbage in Japanese is 白菜 hakusai. And the main Chinese word for it is 大白菜 dai baichoi, big cabbage. In both languages it the kanji translate literally as white vegetable or big white vegetable.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:18 am

Thanks, Frank. Spelling it is as close to cabbage as I generally like to get. :mrgreen: